Block heater- Insight or gauge temps? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Block heater- Insight or gauge temps?

I have a feeling my block heater, or cord crapped out on me. I dont see any bit of a change when I plug in over night or not. Not sure if I should see a different coolant temp when I go "key on" after being plugged in. When plugged in or not, my EGT, EOT, and ECT all show within 1-2* of each other. Which all seem to be right about at the current air temps.

Do you guys notice a different temp on your Edge when plugged in?

I may have to go pick up an inline load tester to see if my block heater is actually drawing any amps/voltage.

My truck didnt come with a block heater cord (why wouldnt you order a block heater cord from the dealer when you live in the NE?!?). I bought one off eBay after seeing that the OEM one was $100+. Starting to wonder if my cord is NG. I followed it back to the block, there arent any kinks/broken spots in the wire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes your temps should rise on your insight. I recently had a block heater crap out on me (only used less than 24 hours total). So I just deal with cold starts now. I'd check your cord for resistance and do the same on your block heater terminals. You should be able to get a cord and block heater(KATS) for around $40 are your local auto parts.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM

Mine will go from 20* to 90* in 3hrs on the edge.
2 stroker
Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
With 4 or 4.5 hours (depends on how quickly I get moving in the am) My oil is in the upper 80s and my my coolant is right around 100. Trans gets into the 40s.

Outside temp in the upper teens.

Check to see if your cord came unpluged from the heater. Its only on there clipped, very possible! If everything is good, you need a new eliment. I would say that would be about a 20 minute job.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:47 AM
NOT a Democrat

Also, if you need any of this stuff, go on e-bay. CHEAP! I was in a pickel last year when my cord burned up (lack of GFCI outlet). It was around 0 for the week so I went to Ford, paid $100 and was on my back for 20 minutes putting the new cord in. lol
Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 AM

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. I crawled under there in the snow after shoveling this morning. Cord is intact, still plugged in. I put the cord in last year. Cheapo on ebay, screw on head style.

I just ordered a new heater element, and cord from Amazon, $48 shipped for the pair ;-)

Cant beat that! This will give me a good excuse to finally flush out the MC Gold crap! Ive had the flush, 20 gallons of distilled, and 4 gallons of ELC in the garage for two months now.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM
NOT a Democrat

Yea its easy. I had an issue getting my old cord out, that was what took all my time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.