Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil Bypass Filter Discussion

17K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  saranay 
#1 ·
Have at it people... im trying to put together a little discussion to get you better oil filtration for a cheaper price if you dont mind the hunting for parts

Putting together your own lines and fittings, using a baldwin filter head or a Napa filter head... you know something similar, also by using filters that are easier to get ahold of than ordering amsoil product online such as CAT, baldwin, Napa, John Deere etc.

Anyone know off hand or have done any research on this? Im looking to try and cross reference the Amsoil EABP100 filter to something else thats cheaper and uses a more universal thread pitch design.
:thumb:

#2 ·
I guess I'm no help to you here. I run a Gulf Coast. However I can throw a roll of paper towels in it for filtration. :hehe:

You can always look on eBay for a Franz bypass. They use a roll of toilet paper for a filter and work great. I had one on my 73 F100 and put 176k on it before I sold it and it ran like a top.

Come to think of it, I have one in the garage. :doh:

#4 ·
I would like to do a bypass set up for my 7.3 but can't justify the $500 for a set up like FS2500. I would like to know too if those CAT filters would work. I know you can get a filter base from NAPA and they have bypass filters that filter to 10microns but it would be nice to do a little better IMO.

#6 ·
There isn't a cross reference for the AMSOIL bypass filter. They are made by WIX for AMSOIL to AMSOILs specs only out of a synthetic nanofiber material. I would be willing to help with offering the wholesale pricing for whoever goes down this road. If you are interested in just getting the complete AMSOIL setup, I can help with pricing on that as well.

Just PM me if you are interested.

#8 ·
Subscribed!

#9 ·
Gonna dig this back up. Does anyone know if a Amsoil EaBP100 filter will work on BPD's bypass oil filter kit? If not does anyone know what it would take to run this filter on that kit or is it even worth it? The reason I ask is that BPD's filter filters to 9.9 microns and this Amsoil filter says it is 98.7% efficient at 2 microns "absolute". Just looking for some insight. So school me guys.

#11 ·
The BPD kit uses a different thread pitch than the Amsoil filter. I have the BPD kit and have not found a better filter that will fit the filter base. I think you will end up having to change the base to get a better filter. My question is 10 micron and higher flow vs 2 micron and lower flow. I only have about 5 thousand miles on the BPD system but changed the bypass filter after about 2 thousand miles because you could see a reduced flow from the return.

#14 ·
also flow rates most bypass use a restrictor to reduce flow but IDK if the BPD is full flow or not ?

you would want to make sure your BPD and your new filter have the same capabilities

EDIT I responded to Tuscany before I noticed page 2 LOL

I also want to know if anyone see's golden oil for more than a minute after an oilchange with a Bypass I run an FS2500

and it still looks like the same black oil as always I just hope it's much cleaner

#16 ·
I have the bpd filter now, ill pull the number off of it tonight when I get home, see if we couod cross reference it to another manufacturer. Either way, they're all way better than stock,and I'd say I have about 1000k miles on my oil change and bypass setup, oil still looks good, maybe not golden new, but not black like usual. I will say even before the filter I was surprised at how clean the top end was when I did studs and injectors a couple months ago. I'd say the rotella t6 does a pretty good job at keeping oil in check. What oil are yall running through your bypass setups? Did you spring for the crazy expensive amsoil or just stick with what you normally use? I don't think there'd be huge gains in interval extension even with really high end oil on the 6.0. Damn hpop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.