oil cooler screen? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 06:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil cooler screen?

So I started breaking the motor down today, got to the oil cooler resevor (i guess that's what you call it). Cleaned all the oil out there before removing the screen. Come to fins out there is no screen there. I looked through the oil I cleaned out for pieces, there was nothing. Where did it go? Anybody no about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

That is strange. If it had melted from the oil being too hot, you might have found other issues than a bad oil cooler.

Did you buy this truck used? If so the previous owner may have been in there and found the screen torn and just didn't replace it.

If you can get an Oasis report on it, then you might see that Ford was in there and didn't replace it.

Just seems to me that is was left out by someone else.

Is just the "screen material" just missing? See picture. Is the screen "frame" still in there?

Last edited by amdriven2liv; 01-09-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Added picture.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah, I'd say someone has been there before and didn't bother to put one in.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My first one stuck to the bottom of the oil cooler when I removed it. I'm sure you would have noticed that though....
Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 AM

I bought used from the dealershp and i beleive they sold it to the original owner also. I don't think one was put in because there is not even a frame for the screen. should I be worried about this? I'm going to talk to the tec at the dealership today find out what he thinks and find out if work has been done before on The oilcooler
Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Serving Our Country!

The original one was made of a cloth material and had a tendancy of blowing out. Then they released an upgraded part that had a stainless steel mesh in it. Not having one at all though I would pull an Oasis report. If the dealer didn't install one on the last oil cooler replacement then I would start raising some flags. I would then demand they test the HPO System for correct operating pressure as well as all you injectors at their cost not yours. If your engine is damaged due to their faulty maintenance make them pay or it can get real expensive real fast. I have found dealership mechanics will cut corners if a job is to difficult. I had my FICM replaced by a dealership and they only used 2 of the 4 nuts to hold it down because the mech was too lazy to reach behind the degas bottle. I was very upset to find out I paid &120 an hour for the diesel mech and with a total bill of $1100 to have something half a$$ed. Get your ducks in a row and start asking the hard questions it will be to your advantage in the long run.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPwrStroke4Life View Post
The original one was made of a cloth material and had a tendancy of blowing out. Then they released an upgraded part that had a stainless steel mesh in it. Not having one at all though I would pull an Oasis report. If the dealer didn't install one on the last oil cooler replacement then I would start raising some flags. I would then demand they test the HPO System for correct operating pressure as well as all you injectors at their cost not yours. If your engine is damaged due to their faulty maintenance make them pay or it can get real expensive real fast. I have found dealership mechanics will cut corners if a job is to difficult. I had my FICM replaced by a dealership and they only used 2 of the 4 nuts to hold it down because the mech was too lazy to reach behind the degas bottle. I was very upset to find out I paid &120 an hour for the diesel mech and with a total bill of $1100 to have something half a$$ed. Get your ducks in a row and start asking the hard questions it will be to your advantage in the long run.
These are the reasons that I do my own work. In the end I know what was done. I am not under pressure to get it done and out of there so I can take the time to do it right. Plus it is a great way to learn about your truck.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 AM

I noticed my FICM only had the front to bolts holding it down also. Thought that was strange. How do I check the Oasis report go online.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Premium Member

Is the metal oil filter screen included in Oil Cooler Rebuild kit 3C3Z-6A642-CA?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Yeah new screen with the kit. I got the basic solutions sinister delete kit. Powerstroke4life I called the dealership he pulled the o!sis report said it only keeps records for 6 months. I have had the truck for 2 yrs so that does me no good. I was thinking it would have record of all work done at Ford dealerships.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.