HID help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HID help

I'm looking to upgrade to HID's and need a little help. I was looking at DDM Tuning's website and questioned whether I needed a couple of things. Do I need the H13 or the H13 Hi/Lo? Do I need the HID harness? Do I need the error code eliminator? Do I need the Adaptor cables? Also I read something about a slim ballasts, is that something you need on the 2006? I'm not sure about these any help would be appreciated. Also I know a couple of guys have installed these on your Harley any info on them (2005 Dyna Low Rider).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I have not YET put them on my Truck but here is my experience with HID lights:

The most important thing is to find out what brightness/color YOU want, then order the socket type that fits your truck. I beileve my 02 has a 9007 socket, for example. If I decided to do the foglights, it is a H3 socket, I believe.

As far as slim or regular balast, its really personal preference, you have to find a place to mount/hide them either way.

I currently have the HID H/L on my VTX1800, and LOVE it, 55w 6,000K Bulb, it was pretty easy to install, the hardest part was hiding the Ballast (motorcycle) but it fit nicely under the tank where you can't see it.

I'm sure it's even easier to install on the trucks.

I'm doing it the soon as the cash-flow allows.

Does anyone know if you need the "Lamp out" module?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshadow View Post
I'm looking to upgrade to HID's and need a little help. I was looking at DDM Tuning's website and questioned whether I needed a couple of things. Do I need the H13 or the H13 Hi/Lo? Do I need the HID harness? Do I need the error code eliminator? Do I need the Adaptor cables? Also I read something about a slim ballasts, is that something you need on the 2006? I'm not sure about these any help would be appreciated. Also I know a couple of guys have installed these on your Harley any info on them (2005 Dyna Low Rider).
The Hi/Low is a waste of money. You can't see much of a difference, plus they cost more, and the replacement bulbs are almost double the price of the normal ones. You don't need the harness, adapters, or code eliminator. The Raptor kit is cheaper, and an easier/cleaner install.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah77 View Post
The Hi/Low is a waste of money. You can't see much of a difference, plus they cost more, and the replacement bulbs are almost double the price of the normal ones. You don't need the harness, adapters, or code eliminator. The Raptor kit is cheaper, and an easier/cleaner install.

I must disagree with you.... Many states that have inspections REQUIRE Hi/Low lights, and I can tell the difference with the Hi/Low. Its all about how you adjust the beam.

You may not NEED the harness, but it doesn't hurt, takes the load of your stock wiring, and is a direct connection off the battery, so you usually have a better current. (Not taking from other electronics.)
Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM

No inspections here. I've adjusted the lights every which way possible, and the Hi/Lo setup sucks! The stock headlight housings arent designed for HID's. Now, if the you were getting projectors, then i would recommend the Hi/Lo. I returned them and got the regular lows.

And I have ZERO current problem with the HID's. The HID's draw less than the stock halogens. The harness would be a waste of money.

This is just my opinion, but many here who have purchased DDMs kits agree.

Last edited by mah77; 01-10-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM

I put the DDM kit on my 2002 a couple weeks ago, big improvement! Mine is 55w hi/lo 4500k slim ballast kit. I ordered but did not need the relay harness. The kit takes power from the battery directly, so the stock harness only provides the signal, not the current. I had a hard time seeing the difference between hi and lo until I got away from the ambient light in the suburbs. The slim ballasts are digital, raptor did not specify, and for a few bucks more WTH. I read some reports of interference with tuners so I wanted to avoid that, went digital. Attach the power to the pass side battery and ground them well. Get the kit, you'll like it.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 PM

I can definitely tell the difference in the Hi/Lo. I drive backroads in Montana all the time and live in the country with deer everywhere. I would not get HIDs unless they had Hi/Lo. There is a very noticable difference.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawlberninF350 View Post
I put the DDM kit on my 2002 a couple weeks ago, big improvement! Mine is 55w hi/lo 4500k slim ballast kit. I ordered but did not need the relay harness. The kit takes power from the battery directly, so the stock harness only provides the signal, not the current. I had a hard time seeing the difference between hi and lo until I got away from the ambient light in the suburbs. The slim ballasts are digital, raptor did not specify, and for a few bucks more WTH. I read some reports of interference with tuners so I wanted to avoid that, went digital. Attach the power to the pass side battery and ground them well. Get the kit, you'll like it.
Did you need the error code eliminator?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
Did you need the error code eliminator?
No. That is not necessary. I chose the 55w Hi/Lo and I can definitely tel the difference between them. I also went with the slim line ballast and the 40 amp relay harness. It adds extra wiring to the setup and may not be necessary but I leave my lights on automatic and didn't want to find myself with only 1 headlight coming on. I got the 6000 bulb and like the color. They make a world of difference in brightness.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawlberninF350 View Post

Do you have pics of your 4500K setup? Thats the color I think I want and would like to see how it looks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.