How Long Is a Long Crank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How Long Is a Long Crank

So I just bought my first diesel....2005 F250 6.0 with just over 100k on the ticker and I am sure this will be one of many noob questions. (I already did a search as well and haven't found a definitive answer......)

What exactly would you all consider to be a long start time? I live in an area that temps have been running low 40s down to low 20s. My start times when it is upper 30s and warmer or when the truck is warm seem to run 2-5 seconds. When it is really cold, in the 20s they seem to be more like 5-10 second range. Is this acceptable? I don't plug it in and when it first starts it seems to idle kind of rough for just a couple seconds then smooth out. Just want to see if these are all acceptable numbers and conditions.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Chapter Director

my first diesel as well so i dont know. but mine takes 2-5secs when warm and 5-10secs when cold, i dont ever crank longer than 15secs so i dont do any damage to the starter, seems like a long crank compared to a gasser but probably normal for diesels
Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
thats what mine does as well...think its normal, iam gonna try to rev x, seems alot of people have a great sucess
Old 01-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That sounds about right. I just recorded a video the other day when I switched oils so I could compare the difference between the two. Just skip 50 seconds in.

That's what mines sounding like. I'm running Rotella T5 10W30 and Rev-X additive. It's definitely helped out with my cold start as well as injector stiction. I used to get a little bit of a rough start or chugging, but that's gone now. Was about 35-40 *degrees and no block heater. Might want to check out this thread,

6.0 oil analysis on Rotella T-5 10w-30. You will probably like this.

Last edited by rajjr89; 01-08-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride707 View Post
my first diesel as well so i dont know. but mine takes 2-5secs when warm and 5-10secs when cold, i dont ever crank longer than 15secs so i dont do any damage to the starter, seems like a long crank compared to a gasser but probably normal for diesels
It should never take more than 5 seconds if you have a good system above 0*. Look at my sig cold start. I was starting in 9* weather and the truck was under 20*. Mine started in less than 1 second.
You may want to try rev-x. Or a different oil weight.

Last edited by smokersteve; 01-08-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
It should never take more than 5 seconds if you have a good system above 0*. Look at my sig cold start. I was starting in 9* weather and the truck was under 20*. Mine started in less than 1 second.
You may want to try rev-x. Or a different oil weight.
I run Rotella T6 5w40 oil, just changed it actually. problem is here it gets in the low 30s in the winter and over 100 in the summer so i need an oil for both.

I have a fuel issue so thats part of the problem but 7.3 and 6.0 probably have differences in starting as well.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 PM

no thats good . I preffer to run a 40w oil over 30w. I use mobil 5w-40. A 5w-40 oil will have better cold starts than a 10w-30 oil.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
no thats good . I preffer to run a 40w oil over 30w. I use mobil 5w-40. A 5w-40 oil will have better cold starts than a 10w-30 oil.
yea the synthetic 5w40 is good for cold starts and doesnt break down in the heat. as where a dino 10w30 does
Old 01-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

I just changed the oil to the T5 10w-30 in the hopes it would help the cold starting time.....doesn't seem to have helped anything as of yet. I am up in the northern part of the state and it will be in the single digits tonight, real test will be in the morning since I am not planning on plugging it in.

Is there any issue with adding the rev-x a few hundred miles after the oil change?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigD1031 View Post
I just changed the oil to the T5 10w-30 in the hopes it would help the cold starting time.....doesn't seem to have helped anything as of yet. I am up in the northern part of the state and it will be in the single digits tonight, real test will be in the morning since I am not planning on plugging it in.

Is there any issue with adding the rev-x a few hundred miles after the oil change?
10w-xx will start better than 15w-xx.

There is no issue with adding rev-x at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.