looking at 07 psd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking at 07 psd

I was hoping I could get so info on the 6.0s. I have had a 97 7.3l for 14yrs now and looking a 07 with 43k miles. I don't know much about the 6.0s and have heard bad things about early ones but did they get better with age. What is fuel mileage. What are things to look for. Do they inject fuel into exhaust like the 6.4s. And what tunes or performance things do I need to look at. I just pull a 10k pd camp trailer. But like the extra power. All the help or info would be great............ Thanks Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Plan on spending an extra 5k on top of whatever you purchase it for to instal...

ARP studs, black onyx head gaskets, EGR delete, upgrade turbo drain pipe, upgrade stc fitting, 6.4 banjo bolts, and upgraded FPR spring.

Sounds like a lot but it is not to badd if you shop around through the ORG and on eBay....

I love my 6.0 and wouldn't trade her for the world. Good combination of speed and power. AND lets not forget responsive! Unlike the older PSD the 6.0 will pin you to the seat or if you are cruising along at 60 and now what to pass someone at 80.... She will have all you want....
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have the dealer run an OASIS report to see if it's had a lot of problems. I would for sure do an egr delete right off the bat, then do a coolant flush and install a coolant filter.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrider View Post
I was hoping I could get so info on the 6.0s. I have had a 97 7.3l for 14yrs now and looking a 07 with 43k miles. I don't know much about the 6.0s and have heard bad things about early ones but did they get better with age. What is fuel mileage. What are things to look for. Do they inject fuel into exhaust like the 6.4s. And what tunes or performance things do I need to look at. I just pull a 10k pd camp trailer. But like the extra power. All the help or info would be great............ Thanks Chris
Chris
Looks like we are in almost the same boat but i still have my 97 it has 123k on it, i got it new still runs great but my 06 will out pull it 2 to 1 but M/T i think my 97 is quicker. If you do the right things get a good set of gauges like the Edge Insight to check temps the ECT-EOT are important over 15* your coolers are getting plugged then you will need new oil cooler and EGR cooler then you should do ARP studs, coolant filter to remove the casting sand and other junk in the coolant, fuel pressure gauge under 45lbs at WOT kills injectors and over 70lbs may blow o-rings, and if you plan on keeping it install a oil by-pass system the stock filter cleans to 20 microns and the by-pass cleans to 2 microns and the injectors like clean Syn oil and use only Ford filters, then do a coolant flush to remove the Ford Gold cxxp coolant and install ELC coolant. Get an Oasis Report to see if it is a problem child this will tell you everything that has been repaired by Ford, run centane boost in the fuel and after it warms up about once a week drive it like you stole it to keep the turbo and EGR valve clean. Mine runs great pulling my 14k 5er mpg 8-9 pulling 14-17 solo sometime as high as 19 on a good day.
2 stroker
Old 01-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

WOW! That sounds like alot. I had my 7.3 for 6-7 yrs and never did a thing to it. Could you get a 6.0 and it be ok to drive for awhile and do some pulling without doing all this, or is it a must do ASAP? The trucks Ive been looking at have been in the 27-30k range and I don't have much letf to do alot of upgrades at first.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 PM

I have 168k on my 6.0 original egr cooler,head gaskets... I do not believe you need to spend 5 k on it. It has been several time sthat a 6.0 is as good to you as you are to it, If you maitain it and keep fuel,coolant and oil clean you will be fine. I would however delete egr asap, and exhaust, thats it.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The first thing you need to do is get rid of the Ford G-05 coolant and replace it with a Cat EC-1 rated ELC. Many of the problem you hear about are a result of this coolant. The links in my signature will give you more information. It is not necessary to do all that stuff right away and if you get the Ford coolant out of there you may never need to do studs or head gaskets.

For more power SCT with custom tunes is the only way to go with 6.0. Read up. Ther is a lot of information on this site. And don't be afraid to ask questions.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrider View Post
WOW! That sounds like alot. I had my 7.3 for 6-7 yrs and never did a thing to it. Could you get a 6.0 and it be ok to drive for awhile and do some pulling without doing all this, or is it a must do ASAP? The trucks Ive been looking at have been in the 27-30k range and I don't have much letf to do alot of upgrades at first.
I never had a bit of trouble out of mine until around the 100k marker. Thats when the EGR valve clogged up, which in return caused the EGR cooler and oil cooler to go out. As far as maintanance, I am by the book. I have a complete binder full of receipts from every service. It is not a matter of if, but when. You will replace those parts at some point in your trucks life. Most lessons learned you hear around here all occur around the 80-100k marker. Great trucks just need the bugs ironed out that Ford didn't fix!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety.Scott View Post
I never had a bit of trouble out of mine until around the 100k marker. Thats when the EGR valve clogged up, which in return caused the EGR cooler and oil cooler to go out. As far as maintanance, I am by the book. I have a complete binder full of receipts from every service. It is not a matter of if, but when. You will replace those parts at some point in your trucks life. Most lessons learned you hear around here all occur around the 80-100k marker. Great trucks just need the bugs ironed out that Ford didn't fix!
The 80-100k mark seems spot on. The previous owner of my truck replaced the oil cooler in mine at 88k. I now have 125k on it and not another problem.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I guess im not sure about the oil cooler. What is or where is the oil cooler. Also how hard is it to do the work your self. I have done just about everything on my 7.3, but its never been anything major. Glow plugs. water pump, lift pump. Im no great mechanic but I try to do as much as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.