Oil On Intercooler Boot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil On Intercooler Boot

Quick question. So I was looking around my motor yesterday and I took a look up around my turbo and I saw a little oil laying on where the tube from my egr delet connects. It's not a lot, very, very minor, but it's there. I also saw on the boot that connects to the turbo had some oil on it to, underneath. I'm assuming it's dripping from there, but why???

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Serving Our Country!

To prevent combustion gasses that blow-by the piston rings from pressurizing the crankcase and blowing out engine seals modern engines have a crankcase ventilation (CCV) system (crankcase breather is the term used on the 6.0L). This is a positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV) and an emissions control device. On the driver side valve cover there is a crankcase breather that routes the vapor from the crankcase back into the air intake manifold via the turbo compressor. As oil droplets are picked up along with the combustion gasses that need to be evacuated you get some oil dropout through the compressor and CAC tube (hot side - passenger side). This oil will cause some degradation of the silicone boots connecting the turbo to the CAC tube and the CAC tube to the intercooler as well. This oil is what causes some to blow off CAC boots and lose turbo power or more significantly rupture the CAC boots requiring replacement of the boot rather than just reaffixing the boot. A CCV reroute with inline filtration catches the oil droplets in filter media but preserves the pressure balance for PCV operation. Rerouting the PCV to atmosphere as many commercial trucks do results in the odor of the crankcase surrounding the vehicle but more poignantly introduces the risk of evacuating the crankcase of oil if there becomes a pressure differential. Eliminating the oil from the PCV is easy, the catchcan just needs periodic draining (at each oil change). Maintaining the balance of pressure protects your engine and yes it keeps you in environmental compliance for emissions control if your state requires that at inspection time.

Jonathan
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I cleaned the boots and tube connections, then put belt spray to make them sticky. That worked very well.

Last edited by smokersteve; 01-07-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Serving Our Country!

Hmm, looks like I'll be either doing the ccv mod or doing what you did smoker,,,,figures.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 AM

pictures on this mods?

thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriero4x4 View Post
pictures on this mods?

thanks
Hopefully within the next few weeks, I'll be ordering the CCV mod developed by our friend NCHornet.

CCV Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.