To those who have or have not deleted you EGR cooler - Please Vote and expain - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What did you do?
I deleted my EGR cooler but have had issues since 0 0%
I deleted my EGR cooler and have never looked back 39 79.59%
I deleted my EGR cooler and ended up putting one back in 0 0%
I just replace it with the bulletproof EGR Cooler and never had an issue since 10 20.41%
I replace it with the bulletproof EGR cooler but later ended up deleting it 0 0%
I replace it with the bulletproof EGR and have had issues since 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To those who have or have not deleted you EGR cooler - Please Vote and expain

So I keep going back and forth regarding the EGR delete. There is SO much to read on here, PSN, FTE, D Stop and many other places.

One camp is saying do it and be done, but what are the side affects? Is there anyone out there that deleted it and wished they didn't?

The other camp is saying spend the money and do the bulletproof EGR cooler. Is there anyone that did this and wished they would have just deleted it?

I have talked to a few different shops and both have their opinions, including Ford. One service manager advised getting rid of the EGR, the other was against getting rid of it.

So tell me your experiences. What has worked and what hasnt. What you did and what you would have done differently. What additional mods you HAD to do after working on the EGR system.
My truck is an 06 (05 production) so I am really interested in the later models.

Thanks all,

Trav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

I went with the BPD cooler so if I don't ever have to worry about emmisions testing. I don't have to spend more money to switch things back in the future. A quality delete kit and the BPD cooler are about the same cost and take the same amount of work to install.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I did not vote since I am doing mine this weekend weather permitting. I have the DicadSolutions Kit ..$150 on e-bay , all stainless ....
For $150 and a few hours of my time ,& not ever having to worry about the cooler puking my head gaskets .....it's a no brainer......get rid of it !
Old 01-07-2011, 06:14 AM

I did the Sinister EGR delete and love it. I did however notice a little more exhaust smell, which is expected. I like having the peace of mind of not having to worry about that pain in the @$$ EGR cooler. I would highly suggest it!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 AM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I voted for my future plan, EGR delete, but my EGR valve has been disconnected since i got the truck with 60k miles, and it now has 94k+ miles. Have no issues with EOT and ECT whatsoever. I have dummy egr valve sitting in engine bay to control fan and allow for vane sweep. -VXCF9 flash, no tunes.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Serving Our Country!

You can talk ship about RCD's injectors, but I have their delete kit and it's top knotch! No to mention the price was right, $185 shipped...
Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 AM

I think it depends on where you live. Here in the divided state of California i had to keep mine so the tree hugging smog nazi's would be happy. Went BPD and have been happy since.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 AM

You should add another voting option: "Left original OEM EGR Cooler in and have no plans to change until broken."

I'm in that category and if all goes well, with the proper coolant (ELC) maintenance, etc, I have no plans to replace the cooler.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
You should add another voting option: "Left original OEM EGR Cooler in and have no plans to change until broken."

I'm in that category and if all goes well, with the proper coolant (ELC) maintenance, etc, I have no plans to replace the cooler.
That is my vote also.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Serving Our Country!

While there are few states that require emissions testing for diesels, it is hard to challenge that this will be more common in the future not less common. There will be a clause for vehicles older than a certain date that will be exempt from emissions standards but for others, testing will become more involved - such as the OBDII, dynamometer, and opacity testing for gasoline powered vehicles in California and elsewhere in addition to the visual check for catalytic converter, PCV, EGR, etc.

Just look at the decision to implement E85 as validation of this prediction. The use of E85 reduces fuel economy increasing fuel consumption and combustion by-products. Of course the offset in fuel economy is less than 15 percent (one would hope) so there is still a net reduction in pure gasoline usage but the effects of ethanol in gasoline powered engines that sit unused for any length of time are well documented (water may bond with alcohol ... its miscible ... and water in an engine is bad).

So enjoy the deletes for now but it won't be too long in the future that delete kits may require replacement to pass inspection.

Jonathan

P.S. I have the BPD EGR cooler and think it is a great product; well-designed and manufactured - their delete kit passes the visual check too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.