Flushing questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flushing questions

I want to change to ELC soon. Right now my oil cooler is working fine (temps well within specs.). I replaced the oil cooler about 6000k ago.

First question: Do I need to do a flush with Restore even if there doesn't seem to be any blockage in the oil cooler?

Second question: If it is deemed necessary to flush with Restore, then likely I should also do the Restore Plus. What are the chances of the oil cooler getting plugged up in the flushing process? I'm thinking I should be more concerned with the rust and scale breaking loose during the Restore + flush. I don't want to have to replace a perfectly good oil cooler due to plugging from a system flush!

How much rust & scale might there be in an engine with 80k miles (128k Kilometers) on it, assuming the coolant is original? If it may not be that much, would it be safe to forego the Restore Plus flush to eliminate the risk of plugging the oil cooler?

I will be taking this truck on a long trip soon after I do this. It will have to be 100% reliable or close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would flush with both Restore and Restore Plus. Ford uses the VC-9 when they perform a flush.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I would flush with both Restore and Restore Plus. Ford uses the VC-9 when they perform a flush.
Do you think then, that there is little chance of plugging my oil cooler with scale during the flush? I've read lots on here about failed oil coolers after a flush and I don't want that to happen. I just got some Rotella ELC today. Haven't got my Restore yet but trying to find it - have to order it in. Anyway, I'm not doubting you, I just need reassurance on the above question. I want to do this right.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 AM

I did my flush after a failed oil cooler. Have not had any issues. Just flush out ALL the gold stuff before adding the cleaners then install a bypass filter kit when finished if you don't already have one.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:11 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
How much rust & scale might there be in an engine with 80k miles (128k Kilometers) on it, assuming the coolant is original? If it may not be that much, would it be safe to forego the Restore Plus flush to eliminate the risk of plugging the oil cooler?
I did my flush with both restore and restore plus at 112000 miles. The coolant and oil cooler were original. So far i have not experienced any issues.

Go for it!!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowcoach View Post
I did my flush after a failed oil cooler. Have not had any issues. Just flush out ALL the gold stuff before adding the cleaners then install a bypass filter kit when finished if you don't already have one.
I have my filter kit mounted and ready to go. Just waiting to do the flush before cutting and T-ing into the lines. Did you replace your oil cooler? If so, before or after the flush? Or did the flush fix your failed cooler? One more question - What's the average price for a jug of Restore? A local shop quoted me $155! That's gotta be a mistake!!??
Old 01-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Flushed my system with vc9 then restore. I had 125,000km
on my 03. After the flush I was running 190 ect and 215 eot
with my foot on the pedal. I just changed my oil cooler now
I'm more like 190ect and 200 eot.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

$155? Was that for a 5 gallon jug? The 1 gallon jug is about
$40 from local cummins. They also sell it in 5 gallon pails.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Yes 155 is a mistake. I paid 22 per gallon at the international dealer. The cooler was replaced before the flush. My cooler was done after 55000 miles. Luckily it was cought before damaging anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.