MY HEAT WILL NOT GET HOT ??? HELP !!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MY HEAT WILL NOT GET HOT ??? HELP !!!

I HAVE A 2005 F-250 W/ 6.0 DIESEL. MY HEAT WILL BARELY GETS HOT 95% OF THE TIME. THE OTHER 5% IT WILL GET HOT, OCASIONALLY. I JUST REPLACED MY HEATER CONTROL VALVE UNDER THE HOOD, AND IT STILL WON'T GET HOT. COULD IT BE THE THERMOSTAT??? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS, JASON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM

bump
bump..
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
check the coolant level
Old 01-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You need to see how hot the engine is getting either with a temp gun or a scan tool. But more than likely it is the thermostat as long as your coolant is full and the engine is not getting hot. But if the engine is getting hot (186* and above) you could have a temp blend door issue.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would say it's more than likely your thermostat.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

OK, AS OF TODAY, I REPLACED MY THERMOSTAT. I'VE ALSO REPLACED THE HEATER CONTROL VALVE UNDER THE HOOD. BOTH HOSES CONNECTED TO THE HEATER CORE, ARE BOTH HOT. I CAN TURN ON THE HEAT, RUN THE TEMP TO 60, THEN RUN THE TEMP UP TO ABOUT 80, AND THE HEAT GETS HOT FOR JUST A MINUTE, THEN IT GOES COOL. IF THIS IS THE TEMP BLEND DOOR, WHERE IS IT LOCATED, AND CAN I GET TO IT WITHOUT TAKING OUT THE WHOLE DASH????? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS, JASON
Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I FORGOT TO ADD THAT MY COOLANT LEVEL IS FULL TOO.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Blend door location..

Open up glove box, empty out all your stuff, on the inside of box on the sides you will see tabs with stoppers. Pull in tabs to clear the stops and the door will drop down. The blend door will be to the top lefthand side, you will see electrical wires going to it. There are 3 or 4 bolts for it, I can't remember!! The one bolt you won't be able to see, you will need to reach up in there and feel for it. If you remove the actuator form the door, be careful not to bump the door to a different position, the door pin needs to line up with the actuator key hole, it only lines up one way. With the actuator off the door and plugged back in you can turn the truck on and use your HVAC controls to see if the actuator is engaging/moving. Remember to turn off the HVAC in the same position so the actuator will line up with the door when you reassemble it.

If you bump the door out of alignment, you can use a small mirror and a flashlight to get the door pin in the right position for the actuator.

If the blend door actuator is working good, you may have issues with the HVAC contols on the dash.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You got eatc? You need to run the self test on it and see what codes are displayed.

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test

The EATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A diagnostic tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4-32C (40-90F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.
The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given.
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.
To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler temperature) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent DTCs and then turn OFF (display blank).
To exit self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.
Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module — Retrieve Continuous DTCs

The EATC module will retrieve only continuous (intermittent) DTCs when carrying out this procedure.

Retrieval of continuous DTCs can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when retrieving continuous DTCs.
To retrieve continuous DTCs press the OFF and PANEL buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within two seconds. All vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no continuous DTCs present. Continuous DTCs are indicated by the presence of the degrees Celsius symbol (C) on the EATC module display. Record all DTCs displayed.
If any DTCs appear, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
To exit and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The EATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and retain all continuous DTCs.
To exit and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The EATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.
Always exit the procedure before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the procedure is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

ELECTRONIC AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (EATC) MODULE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) INDEX

DTC EATC (On Demand) Self-Test Faults EATC (Continuous) Run-Time Faults Description Action to Take
024 025 Blend door failure or short GO to Pinpoint Test A.
031 N/A A/C in-car temperature sensor open circuit GO to Pinpoint Test B.
030 N/A A/C in-car temperature sensor short to ground GO to Pinpoint Test B.
041 043 A/C ambient temperature sensor open circuit GO to Pinpoint Test C.
040 042 A/C ambient temperature sensor short to ground GO to Pinpoint Test C.
050 052 A/C solar radiation sensor circuit short to ground GO to Pinpoint Test D.

Let me know which pinpoint test you need I don't wanna post them all up here and waste a bunch of space.

Last edited by forddieseldoctor; 01-06-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok, thanks for all the helpful input that everyone gave. as i said earlier. i replaced my heater control valve, thermostat. checked out the temperature blend control& door under the dash, behind the glove box, and it was all functioning properly. both heater core hoses were hot too. so as a last resort i took my truck by my friends local radiator shop, and he said that he'd flushed about a half dozen fords this week. so i got him to flush my heater core, and now i have a heater from hell. it will run you out of the truck. so just as a reminder, just because the heater core hoses are hot, don;t mean that it's circulating properly. thank God it fixed mine. now i'm a warm, happy powerstroke driver again.

jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.