6.0 mods if any? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 6.0 mods if any?

I have a 05 350 drw with 6.0 and have heard many horror stories about improving horsepower and torque as far as a chip or programmer and exhuast, I would like to put a 4" exhuast on the truck and a chip to help hopefully fuel mileage but have heard crazy things to the extreme of blowing head gaskets and smoking turbos........is there any truth to this or am i ok to let this thing breath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get an engine monitor such as an Edge Insight to monitor your exhaust gas temperature (EGT), and engine coolant temperature (ECT). As long as the difference isn't more than 15*, your safe to add a custom tune. The Edge Insight will let you know of any problems long before your trucks stock gauges will. After that, consider flushing your coolant to a good extended life coolant (ELC), and add a coolant filter. If you care to dig deeper after that, replace your head bolts with studs (to prevent blown head gaskets), and do an exhaust gas recirculator (EGR) delete.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

This is my first diesel, period...but I've always been a believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I had the Ford dealership add a performance chip and a tuned exhaust, both aftermarket Ford-approved upgrades, and I've never experienced a problem related to these upgrades...

Most folks don't want to admit that these vehicles are engineered by people who know what they're doing. They're made to perform to a certain level, given a set of parameters, and messing with any of those parameters comes with consequences, both good and bad. And you can't add to something without taking away from something else.

Give it a lot of thought, and do your best to get advice from people who design these rigs...not just the ones who know how to make them fast, tall or shiny...

Just my $0.02...
Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
HT, what kind of "performance chip" did your dealer install?

There is always a chance for issues when you start adding things to stock trucks that add power. However, on that note, I have seen stock truck fail, as well. If you are going to add some sort of tuner, the first thing I would do is get some sort of gauges, as mentioned. You need to be able to monitor what is going on under the hood, especially the EGT. I would also recommend getting a 4" turbo-back exhaust ( if you can delete the cat, do so). These things love to breath. IMHO 5" exhaust is overkill. As fas as tuning is concerned, you can go as mild or as wild as you want. It is called custom tuning. The recommended tuner for the 6.0L is the SCT tuner. There are numerous tuners for this device. The tunes are written just for you and your particular truck and driving style/needs. Air intake--- leave stock, it flows and filters as good, if not better than any aftermarket, besides, save that money for other things. I think that will get you started. I know that sounds like a lot but really its not. Oh and last but most of all NOT least, delete the EGR! Ok, I think I am finished now. Good luck in your search for knowledge. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWTUSA.COM View Post
Most folks don't want to admit that these vehicles are engineered by people who know what they're doing. They're made to perform to a certain level, given a set of parameters, and messing with any of those parameters comes with consequences, both good and bad. And you can't add to something without taking away from something else.
They're also required by law to meet certain smog and fuel economy criteria. This drastically reduces your trucks performance abilities. These engines have been tested at levels much higher than what you got when you drove it off the lot. If the 6.0 was such a great engine stock, then why has it been 4+ years since the last one rolled off the assembly line? There are many knowledgable people on this forum that have proved the modifications they've made help improve not only performance, but longevity.

Just MY .02
Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

I had a Bully Dog PMT installed, to make towing my 5er a little smoother...all I ever really use are the "tow" and "performance" settings..xD...and the DynaFlow exhaust was pretty much a freebie from a marketing rep, and really helped to cool down the engine under extreme loads and let the hamster breathe a bit...

Add to that a few K&N parts under the skin, and that's about as far from "stock" as I'll ever take it, and I always have Ford do the wrench work...regardless of the cost...

I've never been one to super-mod any of my rigs, just because I know the law of give-and-take...

...but I sure do like all the pretty rigs other guys have, and it's amazing what these grunts can do with some tuner parts...betchya mine'll last longer, though!!! xD
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah77 View Post
They're also required by law to meet certain smog and fuel economy criteria. This drastically reduces your trucks performance abilities. These engines have been tested at levels much higher than what you got when you drove it off the lot. If the 6.0 was such a great engine stock, then why has it been 4+ years since the last one rolled off the assembly line? There are many knowledgable people on this forum that have proved the modifications they've made help improve not only performance, but longevity.

Just MY .02
Eh, no doubt...and you'll get no argument from me, there...I'm just sayin' that I'd rather let the brains behind the emblem tell me what's right...they should know best.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Understand where you are coming from. But with all the failures with the egr cooler, oil cooler, head gaskets might in part be contributed to modding. There are lots of stock trucks with the same problems. Some of the basic improvements to the 6.0l are as follows....

The first thing to get would be the Edge Insight as mentioned above. The most vital systems to monitor are the EGTs, Coolant and oil temps. Once that 15 degree delta between the EOT and ECT are reached, the oil cooler must be replaced or a daisy chain of problems will occur.

If you are in a state that doesn't do emissions testing, the egr delete is a great mod. It will prevent exhaust gases from entering your intake, decreasing EGTs. The egr cooler, when it fails will introduce coolant into the intake and that is obviously bad.

The CCV mod eliminates oil vapors that normally travel from the valve cover directly into the intake before the turbo, which will push that oily mist through your intercooler contributing to cac boots popping off. It re-routes the oily mist through a filter and then clean air back into the intake.

Coolant filter is just that... Traps casting sand and silica that is traveling through your cooling system that would normally clog your oil cooler.

6.4l banjo bolts allows more fuel to enter the heads, reducing injector starvation, preventing premature failure which normally happens with higher levels of tuning.

These are just some of the basics. head studs are a plus and should be done when/if you blow your head gaskets.

A good tune will also manage your transmission and help prolong its life. Also, the tune will give you better mpgs than stock. There are also tow tunes designed to maximize the use of the engine/tranny during towing applications.

It is your truck and nobody is telling you what to do with it. There are lots of 6.0 gurus on here. Master Diesel Techs and such. most are enthusiasts that find ways to make our trucks last longer, go faster, look shinier, and require a step ladder to enter and can still tow.

Preventative maintenance is key to a long lasting, happy relationship with your truck.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny View Post
HT, what kind of "performance chip" did your dealer install?
Very good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWTUSA.COM View Post
I had a Bully Dog PMT installed, to make towing my 5er a little smoother...all I ever really use are the "tow" and "performance" settings..xD...and the DynaFlow exhaust was pretty much a freebie from a marketing rep, and really helped to cool down the engine under extreme loads and let the hamster breathe a bit...

Add to that a few K&N parts under the skin, and that's about as far from "stock" as I'll ever take it, and I always have Ford do the wrench work...regardless of the cost...

I've never been one to super-mod any of my rigs, just because I know the law of give-and-take...

...but I sure do like all the pretty rigs other guys have, and it's amazing what these grunts can do with some tuner parts...betchya mine'll last longer, though!!! xD
Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

^^^^^^ x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.