Fuel Filter change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 01:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Filter change

Hey guys I have had my truck sit for 3 days because it would not start.Last week it bogged out after I went to start it and then it started and ran fine for a day.The next day came out to go and nothing.So today I changed the fuel filters and it started and ran better then ever in the last little while.Does changing these things really make these motors run that much better.I know it is a dumb question but I am new to these diesels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

What have your outside temps been like? You might have had a small issue with the fuel it's self. Are you running any anti gelling fluid?

And yes. Changing those fuel filters are very important. There are reasons for 2 of them. The first one helps get rid of any water in the fuel, and particles. The second one for making sure the fuel is any particles that may have made it through.

Did you fuel the truck recently. I mean real soon before your problem started? If so, you might have gotten some bad fuel.

Your truck loves maintenance!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Clean filters are ESSENTIAL to these engines. Oil, Fuel, Coolant, Tranny, and Air. Regular maintenance will keep your truck running for a long time.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah77 View Post
Clean filters are ESSENTIAL to these engines. Oil, Fuel, Coolant, Tranny, and Air. Regular maintenance will keep your truck running for a long time.
^^^^ What mah77 said. I always recommend that when a person buys one of these trucks is to change all the fluids soon after purchase. Start your own maintenance clock and keep up with it to how you drive it.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Ya thanks guys.The temp here has been -7 the last few nights.I have been puting in the cetane boost that I always put in and I filled up about 3 days before this all happened. What are the chances of the glowplugs being damaged or something.When it was starting to get cold after it was plugged in the curly cue sign went off right away,now it stays on for like 20 seconds then goes out.We checked the plug today and it seems fine.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

I wrote all the lower stuff before I had to ask..... -7 C or -7F?

The glow plug light will stay on longer when you have not plugged the truck in. It senses the colder temp. (but the glow plugs actually stay on longer than the light any way) Plugged in the light will be on for a shorter time, but again, they will still be glowing.

Cetane additive does nothing for gelling. Diesel kleen in the white bottle has an anti-gel in it. In your area I would be running it always. Heck, I live down here in Vancouver Wa. and I use it all winter. Mainly because I travel over to the east side of Oregon in the winter and need to make sure it is prepared (the fuel) for the trip.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 PM

If I were you I would get the white bottle of DK and dump that in there ASAP. Do you know when the last time the fuel filters were changed?

You might also what to check into this stuff. Diesel Fuel Improver I am running it and seems like good stuff.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 AM

that would be minus 7 Celsius.
Make sure your new filters are Ford or Racor, the doofus that had my truck prior to me had an aftermarket set on and it did not have the water seperator and the smaller filter seemed to be somewhat crushed = junk!
I am also running the white bottle of Diesel Kleen all winter and the grey in the summer plus I throw in a bit of 2stroke TCW3 oil in here and there.
Make sure your batts are good too, cause you will cook the FICM, learned this first hand lol.
I did new batts 58V FICM and Rotella T5 10W30 new fuel filters and havent had to plug in yet I let the glows run for 30 to 45 secs and she cranks right up and runs good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.