crankcase vent mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
crankcase vent mod

Here is what I did to stop dirty crankcase fumes from getting sucked into the intake. Ford has the vent routed back to the intake on the left valve cover (genius!!). Same as the 7.3l for the most part. This is what causes all the oil that builds up around your intercooler tubes and the mod will eliminate that.

I rerouted the vent to exit below the frame rail. It is a 1" hose and it uses a 1" splice. Be careful where you route the vent so it is not on anything hot or rubbing anything the wrong way. There is only one direction the vent can face or it will hit intake tube.

I pull the 90* plastic fitting out of the intake pipe and put a PVC threaded pipe plug in it and secured it with a hose clamp. The plug is approximate 1.03" when measured on the OD of the threads. I don't remember what the actual plug size is by name. Anything bigger won't fit and this is the only thing close I could find to fit. I painted it black with a marker so it would not stand out. Then reassemble.

I also do this on the 7.3l trucks we work on, except i flip the crankcase vent 180* (remove two screws and rotate) so the vent is on the back half of the valve cover and that gets it out of the way. The intake gets a 3/4" vacuum cap on it. You can't flip the 6.0 because the FICM is in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I noticed you routed the hose straight down to the frame rail. Others who have done this mod say you need a rise in the hose before it drops down, otherwise it'll turn into an oil fountain. Are you having issues with oil just pouring out of the hose?

I "dumped" mine as well, but made sure to put the rise in the hose. Now it sticks out like a sore thumb in the engine bay. I would much rather run it straight down to conceal it.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is the first 6.0l I have worked on so I hope that is not the case. I have been doing this on the 7.3 motors for a while without a rise and have not had any troubles. Most of the semis I work on don't have a rise either (even the detroits, which have a ton of crankcase pressure). I think as long as you have your vent coming out of the highest point of the motor, you should be okay. I have seen a few trucks with catch cans to collect the oil. There will probably be some drooling at the end of the tube.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you get a sour like smell in the cab with the Vent hose positioned like it is. I have an AFE with the Vent hose positioned down the side of the engine and can smell the vent fumes sometimes in the cab when Idling.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im doing mine tomorrow, plan on running the length of the truck to the rear of truck... anyone have any tips on this? need a rise?
Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokerstroker View Post
Im doing mine tomorrow, plan on running the length of the truck to the rear of truck... anyone have any tips on this? need a rise?
crankcase vent mod-image.jpg
I ran a 5/8 hose all the way back before the rear axle. And used this to tie into the exhaust. Also using a one way valve
Old 03-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I found 1" heater hose hard to come by locally, and expensive, so I bought a 1" to 7/8" reducer because 7/8" heater hose is everywhere, and cheap.
I used the original rubber elbow, fitted a reducer to it, and ran 7/8" heater hose all the way down to the rear fender well(and ran a 'high side' loop over and around master cylinder - see pic), and ran a $5 CCV filter on the end.
The CCV filter is available at autozone, made by luber-finer, but I don't remember the P/N off the top of my head. It is a 1" nipple, so I ran another reducer back up to 1" and used 1" clear reinforced water hose for the last foot. (see pic)
The clear hose is nice for inspection purposes - as you may be able to see in the pic there's a little oil settled in there that I'll drain at every oil change.
My setup took about 2.5 hours including all the shopping around for pieces and parts(everything can be found at autozone, except reducers and 1"water hose - ACE hardware). It's nothing fancy, but then again, it's just a truck!

I did notice the oil smell, but only for the first 500 miles or so after a fresh oil change. I haven't noticed it in the past 2,000 miles. The key is to not over service the engine with oil.
Attached Thumbnails
crankcase vent mod-20140315_205308.jpg   crankcase vent mod-20140315_205252.jpg   crankcase vent mod-20140315_221103.jpg  

Last edited by Bodywerks0660; 03-15-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrazinf350 View Post
Attachment 258065
I ran a 5/8 hose all the way back before the rear axle. And used this to tie into the exhaust. Also using a one way valve
I wonder if that check valve is a good idea? I'd think that with the constant changes in crankcase temps and pressure it would reek havoc on the system? Have you been running this successfully for a while? Curious...
Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks guys...

Im wondering on the exhaust tie in.... could exhaust pressure ever overcome that of the crank case pressure thus holding backpressure on crankcase????

Thank you for the advice guys!!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:22 AM
YEA!! Tip Assist!!

I heard this was semi bad too. No proof only speculations on people's part. Saying that little bit of oil was good for lubricating the cylinders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.