Looking at an 06, need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at an 06, need advice

Looking at an 06 6.0 F250 Lariat 4x4. It has 76k miles. Looks to be COMPLETELY stock. I was thinking about running superchip programmer just for simple gas mpg gains.

With it being completely stock, do i really need to be worried about the motor? I've heard so many horror stories it makes me real nervous getting a 6.0 after having a 5.9

The truck will mainly just be a DD going from tx to tn with hardly any towing.

Only mods will be exhaust, intake, programmer, and leveling kit with 35s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd do a SCT X3 with ID tunes.

see if you can hunt down a edge insight from someone and plug it into the truck to check the EOT and ECT temps to see if there is a possible oil cooler problem arising.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:36 AM

The superchip programmer will cost you more in the long run in repairs than what you will "save" with the mpg increase. Get an SCT with custom tunes, if you want to tune the truck.

An aftermarket air intake is a waste of money. Better to spend that money on an Insight or some other form of gauges. EGT, ECT, EOT, and FP are the most important parameters to monitor. Gauges are REQUIRED before running any tunes, if you want the truck to last.

Keeping an eye on ECT and EOT will provide you with the relative health of the oil cooler, which is known to clog and cause EGR coolers to blow, leading to even more costly repairs. A coolant filtration system will help prevent clogging of the oil cooler, and the ECT and EOT gauges will help you keep an eye on the cooler's efficiency.

Fuel pressures below 45psi will kill injectors, and in stock form these trucks run close to that boundary. If you are running tunes, the fuel system in stock form most likely will NOT be able to maintain 45psi at all times. Even with stock programming, it isn't uncommon for a stock fuel system to fail to maintain 45psi at all times.

Running 35 inch tires defeats the purpose of getting tunes for increased mpgs. No matter the programming, 35" tires will really eat up your mileage.

In summary, my recommendation would be:
- coolant filter
- then gauges (EGT ECT EOT and fuel pressure, at minimum)
- then exhaust
- then 35's (if you're sure you want them)
- then tunes
Old 12-28-2010, 06:48 AM

You needing to be worried about the motor depends on what your willing to put into it time and money wise. It could be problem free or it could deveolop every problem in the book. I would suggest spending a few hours reading through the 6.0 motor problems forum and figuring out if its something you want to invest in or not.
If your somewhat handy with tools or have a buddy that is, $4,000 is a good ballpark for the amount of $ it will take to fix every potential problem so I would factor that into the price if it were me. If you dont have the time or know how to wrench on it, paying a shop to do all the repairs could get costly.
Either way if you do end up getting it change the coolant ASAP!!!! Read the thread in my sig
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

06-07 engines had less warranty claims than the 7.3, by this time most of the kinks have been worked out. I regret not buying an 07 King ranch since i LOVE the 05-07 look the most.

EGR delete would be the first thing i would do, then look at a fuel system upgrade like elites or something similar. CAI, Exhuast then a tuner. Head studs would also be on my check list.

I like to do all the supporting mods first before i go for power.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its true, 35's make a noticeable impact in fuel mileage. I went from 16-17 before to around 12-15. Buy the truck, get an insight and see whats going on. Dont worry about replacing parts that aren't bad. I use mine as a daily driver, running over 150 miles a day, stock egr and oil cooler, head gaskets and bolts, and have just turned 104xxx. A little bit of education, a lot of maintenance, and the truck will take good care of you. I love my 6.0
Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 AM

Got my 06 in late 07. Only mod I made to the engine was to change to Rotella T5, now running T6, and changed the coolant to a non silicate to avoid scaling, though that probably wasn't necessary as I don't tend to run it hard.

Use it as a DD, and for farm work. It has been terrific. 16-18mpg, and I've started it at zero degrees without being plugged in.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 AM

There is nothing wrong with Superchips. You may not get the power gains and you may not get the mpg's but its as safe as any tune. A tune and cetane boost increase my mileage about 25%. 35's or not (I have 34's), its better economy than not using them.

My only advice, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There are a lot of trucks out there that haven't had any problems. Only thing I'd do preventative wise, is flush the coolant out. Make sure you stay on top of oil and filter changes.

My $.02.

Last edited by Samsonsworld; 12-29-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonsworld View Post
There is nothing wrong with Superchips. You may not get the power gains and you may not get the mpg's but its as safe as any tune.
Wrong.

Its your truck. Do what you want. Believe what you want. Whatever makes you happy.

To the OP- Do your homework. Search for info about superchips in this 6.0 forum as well as the 6.0 forums at ford-trucks.com, thedieselgarage.com, thedieselstop.com, gogodiesel.com, powerstrokenation.com, etc....

Superchips may be alright for a gasser, but not in a 6.0 diesel.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 AM

So instead you recommend Superchips Custom Tunes? OK.

You're wrong. Been around a long time. There aren't many complaints at all and I gaurantee more people use Banks and Superchips than buy custom tunes because they are available everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.