6.0 a loser motor? Bad risk? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Is the 6-liter a smart buy?
Yes, jump on it, mine is GREAT. 54 67.50%
It's not as good as 7.3, but still better than Cummins. 19 23.75%
Buy the Dodge or you'll regret it. 7 8.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 6.0 a loser motor? Bad risk?

Hey guys. I'm sure this has been beat to death, but I didn't find anything helpful on the search...

I'm a die-hard Ford guy and I've owned several 7.3 Powerstrokes - ALL wonderful. I made the mistake of selling my last truck, a 2000 F350, and now we need a new rig.

They are giving away the last of the 6-liter trucks. Loaded Lariat F250s with $49,000 factory stckers for about $37,000..but I'm scared of that motor...

Also, I hear the fuel economy is lousy.

I'd appreciate any help you folks can provide, as we're actually thinking about the Dodge - even though I feel like a traitor and I think it's FUGLY compared to the Ford. My brother has a new Dodge dually and it drives GREAT. He's got less than 15,000 miles on it and he's getting 18 mpg. The motor is quiet & powerful and the exhaust brake is really sweet too. On the other hand, the back seat is tiny.... I still like want Ford - but not if the motor is a risk.

Questions:
1) Is the six liter a risk? Have they finally got it fixed?
2) Wasn't it quiet at some point? The one I drove yesterday was LOUD.
3) Is the fuel economy really close to the Dodge now? (My old 7.3 never got better than 17 mpg. I could live with that, but I'm hearing about guys getting 12 or 13 - and that will send me to the Dodge at $3.25 fuel.)

Last edited by whaler; 07-01-2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2007, 10:35 AM

buy the dodge
Old 07-01-2007, 10:45 AM
im fat and ugly

the later model 6.0(like the one you are looking at) pretty much got all the bugs wiorked out

i bet you can get in yur desired mpg range if you drive it sensibly and dont mod the crap out of it

and aboard
Old 07-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

to the site.

There are many, many, many happy people with the newer 6.0s. I don't think you'd regret getting one. As for MPG, many here report high teens or more. But it depends on a number of factors, 2WD/4x4, driving style, gear ratio, mods (intake and exhaust help, as does a chip/programmer).

You could also consider a low-mileage 7.3 and mod it to your liking. There are still quite a few around.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:01 PM
LTJDS

Talking my exp 4 what it's worth

03' and 04's with clean Oasis reports and 50K+ miles w/ no head gasket or wiring harness issues OK
05' and 06's ALSO with CLEAN OASIS reports even better.
IMO The later or LAST year any available Motor has been offered you are able to be more confident about it having the majority of issues worked out, just due to the Company in ? were talkin' the BIG 3, having out of neccesity made the changes needed to keep lemons off the road and beein' able to maintain a reasonable following of dedicated OWNERS.
Enough problems with any particular engine/drivetrain and any one of the Big 3 are bound to loose some customer Loyalty.
I had a 02' 7.3L that apart from me modding the dog Poo out of had no real issues..... Prior to me purchasing my current vehicle I talked to several of the mechanics I used to use on my 7.3L and they said stay away from 03' and 04's , for particular problems with head gasket failure ,(even on UN-Modded) engines, and others having some issues with the MAIN Wiring Harness.
If you can Get an OASIS report on any USED vehicle prior to purchase I strongly reccomend it. From what I have read and heard about ALL 6.0's the clean OASIS report or the purchase of a never titled newer 6.0L PSD you should be fine. Good Luck.............
Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

Okay here my HO the early 6.nothing had problem, but many of the newer 05-07 have proven stout powertrains. You will have a 100K warranty and the dodge will bw a rattle trap by the time it hits 50k. I had a customer last week complaining because within the first 3 days of owning his dodge both window regs and power seat motors went out. EGR valve replaced 3 weeks later. The the cummins is awesome but the rest of the rig is a POS.

I would go ford.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman77 View Post
Okay here my HO the early 6.nothing had problem, but many of the newer 05-07 have proven stout powertrains. You will have a 100K warranty and the dodge will bw a rattle trap by the time it hits 50k. I had a customer last week complaining because within the first 3 days of owning his dodge both window regs and power seat motors went out. EGR valve replaced 3 weeks later. The the cummins is awesome but the rest of the rig is a POS.

I would go ford.
Yep, if I could buy a Ford with the Cummins with teh new exhaust brake and Allison transmission I'd be willing to pay out the nose...
Old 07-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

For the back seat thing. Are you sitting back there? If not then it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaler View Post
Yep, if I could buy a Ford with the Cummins with teh new exhaust brake and Allison transmission I'd be willing to pay out the nose...
Why would you want an Allison when the Torqshift has proven to be a better tranny?
Old 07-01-2007, 02:12 PM

I dont actually have one of these trucks, but my dad does.

As for mileage, around town it gets 12-13 but on the highway with cruise set at 70, it gets 17 MPG. Unfortunately my dad drives either full throttle or none and gets 14 on the highway, so the way you drive affects your mileage alot! Also, Ive herd of turbo failures dues to excessive carbon build up inside the turbos. This can easily be avoided by NOT babying it absolutely all the time. From what I've read, the 450 work trucks do not have this problem at all because the motors are constantly under a large load and the turbo is always spooling. I say go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.