FICM~ 48 or 58?? that is the question..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question FICM~ 48 or 58?? that is the question.....

Any thoughts,, or experiences with the 58 volts VS. the 48 volt for the FICM?? Just ordered the 58! Wondering if I have screwed up or not?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

58 is better than 48. If you will ever tow, lets say 4,000 and up. Do not get the 58.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When I got my 48v from Swamp's, I asked Johnatan if it would be a problem towing with the 58v. He told me he would NOT using the 58v for towing heavy, due to it puts alot of strain on the internals of the ficm. The 58v produces more heat to the electronics inside.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just ordered a 58 volt and read above and called to change my order to 48v and was told that was not true. I can tow with the 58v just the same as the 48v and will not cause any problems. I kept my order the same..
Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 PM

I have the 58volt and was told by Swamps, i will have no problem towing and they recommend the 58v. Have not towed yet only been in the truck for 2 weeks and at this rate i will not be towing the trailer tell June if the snow does not stop
Old 12-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
When I got my 48v from Swamp's, I asked Johnatan if it would be a problem towing with the 58v. He told me he would NOT using the 58v for towing heavy, due to it puts alot of strain on the internals of the ficm. The 58v produces more heat to the electronics inside.
Richard~

We have become much more lenient on the 48/58 & towing recommendations...since we have literally not seen any increase in failures with the higher voltage FICM's.

Both our 48 & 58v FICM's are rebuilt from cores. We replace all components that have failed, are prone to fail, or are otherwise generally underrated for the task.

Prior to rebuilding any FICM, we run it on our test bench, and monitor all the individual injector signals (1 "on, 1 off; 2 "on", 2 "off"; 7 "on", 7 "off", 3, 4, 5, 6, 8)...to ensure that the signals (not the voltage) are present and look "good"...

we then force the FICM into a very aggressive inductive heating strategy (simulating 0 degree EOT, and then monitor the output voltage of these signals at various points (effective "oil" temperatures, as the ECM controls the aggressiveness of the inductive heating based on EOT)...

we bring the "EOT" up and down, and record the voltage that the FICM is outputting, as well as the current draw (amps) that the FICM is requiring to produce that voltage...

long story short...we perform this test before & after a repair, and include a data sheet with every unit when it ships to the customer. If nothing else, this quantifies 'something' for the customer...as it makes it very easy for someone to see...

"Oh..so this FICM was dropping to 27v at 50deg EOT..and was only using 6 amps before the repair...and after the repair...I can see that this unit is now outputting 57.8v allllll the way down to 0 deg EOT with 30 amps of current" or something similar....

we offer a one year warranty on either the 48v or 58v units...

the only reason NOT to get a 58v unit is:

A) I don't give a fug about performance..I just want my truck back on the road, with the least expensive option...or...

B) I have employees driving this truck, and they tow heavy loads, allllll over the country and the extra 35-40hp may, may, may *but ridiculously unlikely* create excessive EGT's...

early on (1-2 years ago), we were maybe a little too conservative in recommending the 58v units...as we honestly didn't have much data regarding reliability/longevity...but, based on the near zero failures of either of these units (well under 1%)...*I* am not at all scared to recommend a 58v unit to every MF'r out there...and would gladly overnight one to the middle of Alaska if one took a chit within our warranty period.

I know how troublesome the spool valves are on the 6L injector (sticking spools, "sticktion", intermittent misfires, etc)...

the 58v unit will create a stronger magnetic force to minimize, and even eliminate these issues on trucks with moderately sticky spools/injectors.

now...all things being equal...forcing the FICM to output 58v instead of 48v will decrease it's life..it is an electrical component after all....

*I* just don't see it being significant since the actual "on time" of this signal is .0008s (8 ten thousandths of a second)...not to mention the fact that part of our "repair" is actually an upgrade to underrated components on the circuit board....annnnnd the OEM units have a damn near 100% failure rate, even at only 48v.

which is also why we have no reservations or concerns about injector damage, longevity, etc...

to put it in perspective, the 7.3L injectors also have a solenoid...it operates at 110v (OEM spec)...and we have been modding these units to 140v for nearly a decade, and have literally seen zero injector problems associated with THAT..and this signal to the 7.3L injector is on, for as long as 5-6ms (.005s)

in my opinion...it's a total non-issue...

take care~

Dave
Old 12-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Richard~

We have become much more lenient on the 48/58 & towing recommendations...since we have literally not seen any increase in failures with the higher voltage FICM's.

Both our 48 & 58v FICM's are rebuilt from cores. We replace all components that have failed, are prone to fail, or are otherwise generally underrated for the task.

Prior to rebuilding any FICM, we run it on our test bench, and monitor all the individual injector signals (1 "on, 1 off; 2 "on", 2 "off"; 7 "on", 7 "off", 3, 4, 5, 6, 8)...to ensure that the signals (not the voltage) are present and look "good"...

we then force the FICM into a very aggressive inductive heating strategy (simulating 0 degree EOT, and then monitor the output voltage of these signals at various points (effective "oil" temperatures, as the ECM controls the aggressiveness of the inductive heating based on EOT)...

we bring the "EOT" up and down, and record the voltage that the FICM is outputting, as well as the current draw (amps) that the FICM is requiring to produce that voltage...

long story short...we perform this test before & after a repair, and include a data sheet with every unit when it ships to the customer. If nothing else, this quantifies 'something' for the customer...as it makes it very easy for someone to see...

"Oh..so this FICM was dropping to 27v at 50deg EOT..and was only using 6 amps before the repair...and after the repair...I can see that this unit is now outputting 57.8v allllll the way down to 0 deg EOT with 30 amps of current" or something similar....

we offer a one year warranty on either the 48v or 58v units...

the only reason NOT to get a 58v unit is:

A) I don't give a fug about performance..I just want my truck back on the road, with the least expensive option...or...

B) I have employees driving this truck, and they tow heavy loads, allllll over the country and the extra 35-40hp may, may, may *but ridiculously unlikely* create excessive EGT's...

early on (1-2 years ago), we were maybe a little too conservative in recommending the 58v units...as we honestly didn't have much data regarding reliability/longevity...but, based on the near zero failures of either of these units (well under 1%)...*I* am not at all scared to recommend a 58v unit to every MF'r out there...and would gladly overnight one to the middle of Alaska if one took a chit within our warranty period.

I know how troublesome the spool valves are on the 6L injector (sticking spools, "sticktion", intermittent misfires, etc)...

the 58v unit will create a stronger magnetic force to minimize, and even eliminate these issues on trucks with moderately sticky spools/injectors.

now...all things being equal...forcing the FICM to output 58v instead of 48v will decrease it's life..it is an electrical component after all....

*I* just don't see it being significant since the actual "on time" of this signal is .0008s (8 ten thousandths of a second)...not to mention the fact that part of our "repair" is actually an upgrade to underrated components on the circuit board....annnnnd the OEM units have a damn near 100% failure rate, even at only 48v.

which is also why we have no reservations or concerns about injector damage, longevity, etc...

to put it in perspective, the 7.3L injectors also have a solenoid...it operates at 110v (OEM spec)...and we have been modding these units to 140v for nearly a decade, and have literally seen zero injector problems associated with THAT..and this signal to the 7.3L injector is on, for as long as 5-6ms (.005s)

in my opinion...it's a total non-issue...

take care~

Dave
Thank You for the update, I had bought mine back in May of 2010. When I had talked to Johnathan, at that time I was informed about the 48v~vs~58v. Thank you for clearing this up.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Thank You for the update, I had bought mine back in May of 2010. When I had talked to Johnathan, at that time I was informed about the 48v~vs~58v. Thank you for clearing this up.
no problem...

if you want a 58, shoot me an email, and maybe we can do a trade up...

dave@swampsdiesel.com
Old 12-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

GOOD!!! I have wanted the 58
Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

THANKS FOR THE INPUT!!! GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! 58 ALL THE WAY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
58v ficm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.