VC9, RESTORE, DISTILLED WATER, ELC....CHECK - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 05:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VC9, RESTORE, DISTILLED WATER, ELC....CHECK

alright i've got it all 2 quarts vc9, 1 gallon restore, 18 gallons distilled water (to get started), and rotella elc....and a saturday off so here i go. read up on this quite a bit but just want to verify a few things. mostly the proper order of the flush and the amounts i use....do i go with 2 quarts of vc9 and then flush that out and then use about 3/4 of the gallon of the restore and then flush it out and then go back to distilled to finish up until its all coming out as clear as its going in? also i didn't plan on removing the thermostat, is that a big deal? i was just gonna do some driving around all day to get all the ford demon gold out to get the right stuff in. any other tips anyone has please let me know......thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Doing mine today as well. Subscribing to thread.
You can leave the t-stat in, just drive it for 1.5 hours for each of the cleaners. You can use tap water for the "between" flushes but use distilled for the final rinse. Pour in 3.5 gallons of coolant, top off with distilled water and you are good to go. I am replacing the upper and lower hoses though, as long as they are accessable, also changing the t-stat.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:49 AM

Hay bailman72 let us know how it goes when your done. I am looking at doing the flush on Thanksgiving day but I'm using the restore plus instead of the vc9. I was thinking about using the whole gal. of restore but i just seen a post that said don't and now i see your going to use less so maybe it won't be has hard to flush out. I have read were others have had a hard time getting it out.

Phil
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should use Restore first, it is an alkaline cleaner to remove sludge. Follow that with VC9 or Restore Plus, which are both acidic cleaners for removing rust and scale. Flush with distilled water, then add your coolant. I'll be using Restore and Restore Plus on my dad's '03 next week, that is the order Fleetguard recommends using. The iron cleaner works better after getting the sludge out of the way with Restore.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Not trying to hijack here, but how many gallons will drain out? that way i know how many containers to get..
Old 11-20-2010, 01:00 PM

3-4 gallons will drain out each time you flush. You'll need 3.5 gallons of coolant concentrate to get the right concentration of 50/50 and a lot more of distilled water for the flushes.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:31 PM

I have read on many threads here to use VC9 first then the Restore.........
So, which is it? I am doing mine here shortly. Waiting for that $80 hose to arrive.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Fleetguard says to use Restore, then Restore Plus. Since VC9 is similar to Restore Plus, it should be used last. The acid in Restore Plus and VC9 prep the metal for the new coolant, you don't want to use an alkaline flush after the acid prep.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 PM

What do we do with all the waste coolant and flushes.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:51 AM

ok so here is an update after day one. first let me start by saying this is a must do for all powerstroke owners and it is easy. i chose to leave the t-stat in and so it is more time consuming because of the longer drives but its a nice excuse to cruise around the country in your truck and there is nothing wrong with that. first time i drained it i added the 2 quarts of vc9 and topped off with distilled water and went driving for about an hour and 20 minutes then came home and drained that. i didn't really let the truck cool down but make sure you take the cap off the degas bottle before you drain to relieve the pressure. i then flushed with just distilled water 4 times driving about 15 for 20 minutes between each one with the heat cranked. now it was time for the restore, i added all except for about 1 1/2 inches of the 1 gallon bottle of it because it says its for a 10 gallon system then drove for about 90 minutes. because i was flushing immediatley after my return from driving around i really didn't have to wait for it to get back to operating temp which saved a little time. i have drained the system and flushed with only distilled water since then and i have flush number 10 in my truck right now. i am a little crazy in how i do a job so i may go a little further than most, but i figure this elc is good for atleast 300,000 miles so it is worth doing right. i have used only distilled water the entire time and have been through about 31 gallons but as cheap as it is why not. i have all the flushes back in the 1 gallon jugs and lined up in my driveway and each one gets more clean and clear looking but the restore keeps them a little cloudy so i'm gonna start with some more flushes till its coming out as clear as its going in before i add the elc. thats where i'm at so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.