testing high pressure oil pumps on trucks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
testing high pressure oil pumps on trucks

i am testing 2 hpop's from 05 and seem that both are dead.but one
cranked the truck when it had blowed the head gaskets.now that i have
everything back together and testing the pump before i put everything back together.before you say my gauge is no good i put an 03 pump on it and boom shot to 2400 psi on the 2nd or 3rd try so i know my gauage is good.

i just wouldn't think both pumps are bad but it seems that way any feed back fellas.

harv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 07:06 PM

branch tubes NOTHING LEAKS...i did the tests in the branch tube and in the oil rails and nothing cain't hear a thing.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Wait. I didn't think '05 and later could use '03-'04 HPOPs so it would make sense that an '03 HPOP would let your gauge shoot "to 2400 psi" while the '05s would "seem that both are dead."

I can't find the thread that listed all the changes from the '04.5 model year to '05 model year, but the DieselSite HPOP description describes something like this:

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=918

It's pretty close to the top. Here's how they describe it:

"These are DIESELSITE Adrenaline High Pressure Oil Pumps for 2003-2004 6.0L Powerstroke engines. This will be improvement in performance over your stock pump for stock or larger injectors. Note for 2005-2007: you can only use this if you retrofit all your rails and HPOP components out to the 2004 version, or wait for our 2005-2007 version ... "

Tell us about your truck - year, mileage, modifications, etc. Thanks!

Jonathan
Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 AM

my bad bud...the truck is an 05 and i have a mechanical gauge where the ipr
is and i get nothing.so i thought i'd try an 03 pump.i made a plate and attached it to
the top on the 03 pump and used the same gauge that i was using to test the 05 pumps.
the pressure shot up to 2400 on the 2nd or 3rd try.

i do not want to buy any pumps as i have plenty here.the truck in question had blowed head gaskets but still cranked and ran.i did arp's egr del/and i also deleted the internal
oil cooler and did an external oil set up which will later be posted in another thread.

i can make the 03 work since i have no 05-07 pumps and it would be really easy
but i was only testing the pumps and it seemed both are bad.i'm glad i did not sell
them to anybody on here.i will let you guys know if anything changes.

i will not have to change any oil rails or anything if i decide to do this.all that is required to do this is
some welding off the truck i will have pics.

harv

Last edited by 8.0Lsix0; 11-20-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

Well then maybe a blown o-ring at the discharge line? But you say you can't hear anything and I imagine you would hear something with a bad o-ring. Maybe a blown plug but then for TWO different HPOPs...unusual indeed. I've got nothing...nothing. Sorry. Very odd. Are the two '05 HPOPs "recovered" parts or new parts?

Jonathan
Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 AM

no leaks what so ever and i'm triple sure lol.the 03-04 pump is good and there is only 200 psi difference between the 2 pumps 03-05 at wop.when i do the switch it will also have the up graded fitting welded to the 03 tube w/the 2 8mm bolts holding the feed tube down "just like an 05".

i've never like the 05-07 pumps at all.most of the time when you do head gaskets on an 05-07 you have to replace the following.egr cooler/oil cooler/hpop pump and filter.but i delete every bit of that except for the hpop pump "I ALWAYS HAVE TO REPLACE IT"

just seems messed up you have to do that almost every dam time and w/the 03-04 pumps you don't."i'm not 100% sure per say but it has been this dam way every freaking time and i'm fixing to put a stop to it.

speaking of hpop pumps.i was coming back from fl a very long trip and the check valve on the side of the pump came out while going down the rd.i noticed pwr loss and i looked down and seen that i was almost out of fuel.i stopped at a gas station and filled up and truck would not start.well i had brought all the parts needed to fix "i do this on very long trips.well went to eat something and cool off.when i got back to truck i fired it up and ran smooth as a pin "but i could only go 70" that's when i said a check valve or something has popped out.

i made it 1750 miles back home w/out shutting the truck off and the next mourning tore it down and boom i was right.so i know those 03 pumps and early 04 pumps are very stout and these are the very pumps i ran 8.0's in an 8th with "but not the particular one"

i'm only doing this as the pumps are around 800 at a ford dealer and i have 5-6 setting here that i know are good "SO WHY THE HELL NOT...after all we are in a recession whether we want to believe it or not so to each his own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.