Good Deal?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good Deal??

Been looking at some trucks and i found a 05 6.0 4x4 super clean for 16,500 can probly pick it up a little cheaper if i work him. I am wondering if this is a could deal it has 130,000 miles on it. The only thing i am worried about is the gooseneck ball in the back how much he has pulled and actually used it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Depending on where you're located it could be a good deal or not. I would say if you coud get it for $15,000 then it's a great deal. I picked up my 2005 F250 CC/SB Lariat all stock in great condition with 97,000 miles for $17,500. But it's all relevant to your location and what other trucks are going for around you.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well im in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area and it seems to me all truck are a little high, this is a Lariat too. Its a non smoker older man has it and like i said its super clean. All the other trucks i have looked at are priced around 19 or 20 and thats why i was wondering kinda seems like its to good of a deal to be true. I have been looking from 03 and up i was really wanting a 03 cuz the turbo has less fins and makes a good whistle but seems like i can beat a deal like this just curious if i should be worried about this since its cheaper than most?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:42 AM

I wouldn't worry about it being cheaper. Just make sure you drive it a good bit and feel the transmission shift. That would be my only concern.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
That would be a good deal by about 2k-2500 in my area. I would buy it. I agree with above. Drive it make sure it shifts good and is tight. Also, try to start it cold. Se what it does!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

The only way to really answer this is with the elements several of us recommended in your other posting - only this time not generically but specifically for this vehicle:

OASIS by VIN
Records of service from the owner - how well it was maintained for those miles are more indicative of what is to come in the future - extended intervals are BAD
Compare mileage to vehicle hours - idling is a killer of turbos
WDS from a reputable Ford dealer familiar with the PSD
Physical and visual inspection of filters for twisting/collapsing (at least the ones in the bay - I'd still drain the lower fuel filter and see if there's water in it)
Physical and visual inspection of fluids (oil, coolant, transmission, transfer case - yes you can check all of these easily...looking to see how they look, smell too - if it looks burnt you could be too in a sale)

There were a few other pieces of advice but buying this truck (especially one you've indicated is for work) is more than a GREAT price. The 5R110 transmission is built for towing so just a "feel" for how it shifts is not sufficient in my opinion. The transmission gauge reads "normal" at as low as 50 degrees.

Good luck on the purchase! I have a '05 F-550 and the turbo sounds great too - these really are great trucks.

Jonathan
Old 11-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron04 View Post
Well im in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area and it seems to me all truck are a little high, this is a Lariat too. Its a non smoker older man has it and like i said its super clean. All the other trucks i have looked at are priced around 19 or 20 and thats why i was wondering kinda seems like its to good of a deal to be true. I have been looking from 03 and up i was really wanting a 03 cuz the turbo has less fins and makes a good whistle but seems like i can beat a deal like this just curious if i should be worried about this since its cheaper than most?
Don't worry that it's cheap. I just bought my 06 f250 diesel with 165K for a little over 11K. Here in DFW area. It's virtually spotless. Prices vary widely here in this area. Of course, I did have to dump 2 grand into it for a HPOP 7 days after I bought it, but there is no way he could have known that was going to happen. I had ford put it on the analyzer before I bought it and they said it was in good shape.

For what it's worth, most ford dealerships will do a 22 point inspection (or some number like that) for free. They will look at things like the ball joints, universals, fluids, batteries etc..... Will kind of let you know what level of driving and MX there has been on it. IF you are really worried about the towing part of it, spend the money and have ford analyze the transmission and engine. Have them tell you if the system has been reset recently. They can tell that if some of the monitors have not gone back into the normal mode after a reset. The money spent with that could save you from spending 4K on a tranny or 6 or 8 K on a motor.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.