ECT 176*, EOT 204* ?!?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT 176*, EOT 204* ?!?!?

Just installed the bullydog triple GT, and have been monitering by ECT and EOT's and after a recent 40 mile drive, consisting mainly of backroads and speeds around 55 mph I noticed my my temps were 176* for ECT and 204* for EOT.... I know these do not fall into the good window, so what gives?? I dont think I have blown a head gasket, bc i dont see any misty white smoke... . Also, the tripledog has diagnostics and im showing 2 codes, cant remember the #'s off the top of my head, but one saying cylinder 7 circuit low, and the other saying cylinder 7 balance/contribution low. Any ideas.

Side note, as for the the Triple GT i really like... It has plenty of parameters that you can monitor and in the tow/economical tune I have seen 2 mpg increase. And the new power and in all three tunes is strong, and the strong can really move now. Very impressed.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Your oil cooler is plugged. Rebuild it and replace the coolant with ELC
Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Welcome to the org!! Your temp delta is too high because your oil cooler is blocked up. The oil is cooled from coolant that also flows thru the oil cooler. The very narrow coolant passages that flow thru the oil cooler get blocked up from casting sand and coolant silicate. When these coolant passages get blocked up, it will prevent coolant from getting to the EGR cooler and cause the EGR cooler to fail. If a failed EGR cooler is allowed to leak into the motor, the coolant can get into the cylinders, liquid will not compress so when the piston tries to compress the coolant, it can stretch the head bolts and cause the headgaskets to fail. A blocked up oil cooler, if left blocked up, will super heat the oil and motor to the point where it will melt the plastic material in the oil filter housing and cause major damage to the motor.

It's good that your monitoring your truck with the bully dog, most guys run the SCT programmer because it is safer for the trans.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had similar numbers. I just changed my thermostat and now ECT=190 , EOT=199 at cruising speed unloaded. I was told on here earlier this week that 204 degs for EOT is "normal". Isn't his ECT at 176 below "normal" operating conditions with a 195 deg t-stat unless he's running one way below that?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Replace thermostat and keep monitoring temps.

For the oil cooler to be deemed plugged, the engine needs to be up to operating temp(190ish)
Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 AM

I agree, 176* coolant temp seems too low. Once up to operating temp, it should sit around 190* - 200* depending on outside temp and speed.

Last edited by mah77; 11-12-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

as long as your not using any coolant then i agree with the thermostat diagnosis.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Welcome to the org!! Your temp delta is too high because your oil cooler is blocked up. The oil is cooled from coolant that also flows thru the oil cooler. The very narrow coolant passages that flow thru the oil cooler get blocked up from casting sand and coolant silicate. When these coolant passages get blocked up, it will prevent coolant from getting to the EGR cooler and cause the EGR cooler to fail. If a failed EGR cooler is allowed to leak into the motor, the coolant can get into the cylinders, liquid will not compress so when the piston tries to compress the coolant, it can stretch the head bolts and cause the headgaskets to fail. A blocked up oil cooler, if left blocked up, will super heat the oil and motor to the point where it will melt the plastic material in the oil filter housing and cause major damage to the motor.

It's good that your monitoring your truck with the bully dog, most guys run the SCT programmer because it is safer for the trans.

Wow... Hey, thanks for all the great/specific information concerning this. How, though, do i go about fixing this? I am actually flushing my radiator and all today and switching to Shell Rotella ELC... Will flushing and switching fix the problem or will I need to do more?

Thanks

matt
Old 11-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablos30 View Post
as long as your not using any coolant then i agree with the thermostat diagnosis.
I will more than likely be replacing my thermostat tonight when I do the coolant change... on the phone w the local dealership seeing if they have one in stock..
Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 AM

Most on this site recommend using 2 quarts of Fords EC-9 radiator flush (available at your dealership), and using 1 gallon of Restore/Restore Plus. Both aren't cheap, but they give you a nice clean flush. Fill it up some good ELC, and your good to go for a LONG time.

The EC-9 is an iron cleaner that removes deposits from the interior of your radiator.
The Restore removes any silicate solids that may have already began to form and clog you oil cooler & EGR cooler.

Last edited by mah77; 11-12-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.