Hibernating PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hibernating PSD

Hey guys,

I'm new to your Forum, and wanted to ask a couple of quick questions that searching didn't really yield answers to.

There is an '04 2wd Lariat Crew Cab, Long Bed, that has been sitting behind our shop for ohhhhh probably about 3-4years, I think I have seen it move once, maybe twice in that span of time, but not within the last 2 years (yeah i know that sounds like a complex word problem in some high school math class lol)

Anyways, we were thinking of making the owner an offer on the truck and getting it back on the road, what am I going to be up against? I believe the truck has around 100k miles on it, and needs a little love and attention. Now I know diesel, like gas goes pretty bad over a period of time, so I'm wondering what kind of work am I going to have in getting the fuel system back in order besides changing a fuel filter, possibly dropping the tank and cleaning it out.

Any other engine related issues to look at in a 6.0 that has sat for that long? How much could I be looking to spend? Or should I just steer clear of it? I have a pretty strong mechanical background and I'm not afraid to tear into it and get it back on the streets I just don't know much about powerstrokes and need your opinions, thoughts, concerns, etc, and that will help gauge what kind of offer we make, If any.

Thanks in advance guys! I look forward to learning!

Kyle

Last edited by 6.0DRW; 11-11-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Kyle,

I think sitting that long, you might end up having some issues with the veins in the turbo sticking. But maybe not. Dont steer clear of a 6.0. Just take care of it. I would first and foremost ditch your EGR cooler. That seems to solve almost all your issues. Besides that ditch the gold coolant. It has been proven my many that the combo of the hot EGR cooler and the gold coolant can clog your oil cooler.

So, ditch the EGR and get ELC coolant. Drive it to see if your turbo will work normal. If it was in a heated and dry garage, you MIGHT not have any issues.

As far as your fuel, I restore cars and I know how nasty it can be to totaly flush a system. I had a car with gas from the 70s! lol. So, I would drain the tank, drain the lines as much as you can from your fuel filter, change those, and fill it with a few gallons of fresh Diesel and run it.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Galaxie,

Thanks for the response, I remember a few buddies of mine having EGR issues and Oil Cooler issues with their 6.0's so ditching the crap coolant, and EGR system would be in the works for sure. As for the turbo, that was also a concern of mine, since the vanes have sat idle for so long and its just been sitting out in the back lot in the weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.