Remote Start - Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Remote Start - Problem

When I bought my truck it came with a remote starter already installed. Don't know much about it but when I start the truck it will sit for ~20 seconds which is cool then it will start. It will run for about 30-45 seconds and shut off. Then it will wait 20 seconds and start again. The few times I have tried to start it I am normally standing right there so I stop it before it tries to start again by hitting the brake pedal.

My plan was to swap to a new unit that has a 2-way remote and possibly an alarm.

My question is does anyone know what in the heck could cause that? The truck runs perfectly fine other than this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yep i know what that problem is... the remote is thinking the truck did not start and begins the restart process... seen it many times before, same thing happens with my alarm, for some reason the alarm cannot tell a diesel has started like a gasser... you have to program off the feature. its called "engine start sensing" or something of the likes. if you have the remote manual you can probably turn it off yourself, if not you have to go to the place that works on the alarm brand and have it programed off.. will take 30 seconds for them to do and im sure they wont charge you or, if they do like $10..
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
Yep i know what that problem is... the remote is thinking the truck did not start and begins the restart process... seen it many times before, same thing happens with my alarm, for some reason the alarm cannot tell a diesel has started like a gasser... you have to program off the feature. its called "engine start sensing" or something of the likes. if you have the remote manual you can probably turn it off yourself, if not you have to go to the place that works on the alarm brand and have it programed off.. will take 30 seconds for them to do and im sure they wont charge you or, if they do like $10..
Hhmmm... Interesting! Thanks for the tip. Now the question do I have them reprogram it for $10 or pay $500+ for a new one that I want.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Hard choice.... hmmm... LOL, $500 will buy more toys.... just sayin..
Old 11-11-2010, 01:37 PM

IF you have one of the DEI products (Viper, Clifford, etc.), you need to buy a different RPM sensor so that the alarm knows that the engine is running (I think it needs to hook up to the pink wire near the pedal, but I'm not sure). Very common problem--you can't go off a typical spark plug wire like you can with a gasser. I forget the exact specs, but if you search the electrical forum, you'll find it.

Found a typical Thread: Remote Start Tach Wire on 2006
Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 PM

^^Yep what he said. I had a big long drawn out ordeal with the ppl that put mine in because they didnt know what to do to make it work so I called DEI myself and I forget the exact name of the part.
Now when I had all these problems trying to get it to work the shop keep it all day trying to figure it out. Well at the end of the day I had to by a new alternator, they said is was starting and shutting off(exact same as your issue) because once it started it was reading low voltage from the alternator and shutting it self down to prevent damage. Did they fry my alternator?? probably because it didnt fix the problem but maybe you can check your alternator output just in case.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
IF you have one of the DEI products (Viper, Clifford, etc.), you need to buy a different RPM sensor so that the alarm knows that the engine is running (I think it needs to hook up to the pink wire near the pedal, but I'm not sure). Very common problem--you can't go off a typical spark plug wire like you can with a gasser. I forget the exact specs, but if you search the electrical forum, you'll find it.

Found a typical Thread: Remote Start Tach Wire on 2006
My alarm is clifford, thanks for the great info, i had no idea there was a way to make it work, i will have to look into that... thanks!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:56 PM

however i cant lie, in vegas i never use my remote start, in AK it was a must! but now i just walk out in the nice 75 degree wx, and start her up! the wife always takes a good 10 min to put stuff in the truck etc, so it gets its warmup time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.