Maybe a dumb question?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maybe a dumb question??

Guys,
I am looking at buying an 03 6.0, and i am pretty new to the whole diesel thing but this is what im wondering. If i buy this truck am i looking at a lot of problems because i have been doing some reading on here and it looks like there are a lot of problems with the head studs and turbos once you start adding power. I will be mainly using this truck as a work truck. I want the 03 because i love the whistle it makes. I will be adding exhuast cold air and a programer. Do i need to go threw this thing and change everything before this happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It isn't the power or mods that create the problems. Read the links in my signature.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Serving Our Country!

I don't think there is such a thing as a stupid question.

You should get an OASIS report from Ford (give the VIN to the dealer service folks - it's a free report) to get the details on warranty and claims service provided through Ford dealers. It won't cover any non-dealer work but it will provide a history of work done on the truck covered by the Ford Motor Company. Look for EGR cooler, EGR valve, oil cooler work. It's not a "no-buy" situation but should help give you an idea of what the truck has had issues with in the past.

Check the vehicle mileage against the operation hours. Excessive idling is bad for diesels. Look for an average over 35 mph...40 mph is better...some are LOW like 20 mph and could result in an early loss of that "whistle" you say you like.

Get a code reader and find out the codes in the truck's memory (if any).

BEFORE purchase, if it were me, I would take the truck to a reputable Ford dealer that has a known service record of work on the 6.0L PSD - like a fleet service center...someplace that takes care of the city's 450s and 550s...and have them at least check the truck with the Ford WDS (Worldwide Diagnostic System) tool. It is more than a simple code reader and more than AutoEnginuity too. They'll do an injector buzz test and several other important diagnostic evaluations that will let you know if you've got a truck in good condition or not.

If it is a 4x4 make sure you run it with the transfer case engaged, wheels locked and unlocked both AND in 4LO as well as 4HI.

Ask for records of fluid changes if available...extended oil service on the 6.0L is a NO-NO. Ask if only Motorcraft/Racor filters have been used. Open the top fuel filter and check it out - if it looks collapsed or twisted, I wouldn't buy it - you'd be looking at future injector problems for sure right off the bat. Fuel filters should be changed every other oil change (top and bottom). Not a bad idea to open the lower fuel filter's water drain and see if there is water in the lower filter element (it will drain about 1 quart of fuel - you can afford to pay for that). If it startles the seller that might indicate how diligent filter service was performed (or not).

Regarding fuel, ask if the seller ever ran it dry...ran out of fuel...this is bad for injectors too - and injectors are not cheap to replace even if you do it yourself.

Look in the degas bottle (the clear coolant reservoir). If it is cruddy you could be looking forward to a new oil cooler real soon (refer to OASIS - and PGreenSVT's signature links). If the coolant is GREEN, well I wouldn't buy the truck but some would say you could still save the oil cooler.

Squeeze the silicone boots between the turbo and boost tube (usually it's blue) on the passenger side as well between the boost tube and the intercooler (this is one that cracks on the inside frequently). Also check the driver side connections between the intercooler and boost tube as well as between the boost tube and intake elbow. These are inexpensive replacements but could indicate how the truck was operated if there is a LOT of oil around them. Excessive blow by (also known as wet-stacking) indicates an engine not operated with sufficient load - "babied" is an accurate term. This blow-by is not a good thing for diesel engines in general and probably a really bad thing for the 6.0L.

If your state has emissions testing look for the EGR valve (center front of bay) and EGR cooler (on the passenger side) and catalytic converter (under the truck) and muffler.

I'm sure I'm leaving some things out but these are quite a few checks. A good Ford dealer would do all these for you - not for free in all likelihood - and provide a good idea of the vehicle condition.

Good luck!

Jonathan

Last edited by howell_jd; 11-10-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling..."I'd like to solve the puzzle, Alex"
Old 11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Now after checking all this and if everything checks out and it turns out to be a decent truck, adding these aftermarket products will this effect any of this and is it going to cause future problems?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have an aftermarket exhaust and intercooler, an oil bypass and coolant filter BUT the truck is great in stock condition for use as a work truck. I think the coolant filter is a must - many (a growing number) would also change the coolant to ELC as a protective measure against oil cooler failure. The coolant filter will help and you'd be surprised what many of us have found. The oil bypass is helpful but proper filters (oil and fuel) are just fine without going to an oil bypass. Having gauges is a tremendous step forward to proper maintenance of the vehicle - stock gauges won't let you know there is a problem coming...they will let you know your truck is BROKEN - d'uh it won't start or it stopped all of a sudden - most folks would like a "little" advanced warning. There are digital gauge systems that tune but too much aftermarket tuning isn't really a great idea for a work truck which you say is the purpose for its use. The best (only recommended tuner I know of) for the 6.0L is the SCT with a custom tune written for you the way your truck is equipped, operated, and maintained. There are plenty of tuner packages that have gauges...you can use any one of them in "stock" mode and you'll get more out of the gauge package than power/torque that blows your engine to pieces and wrecks your transmission...I think SCT even makes a digital gauge package that connects to the OBDII port. Some like the analog gauges best. Bottom line is YES aftermarket products affect the truck - that's why people buy them...many do cause problems. Why do you want to buy the truck? If it's for work and work is critical then I'd say don't mess with too many aftermarket performance products at all. Save your money for the few good items (coolant filter, a good first flush - maybe to ELC, gauge set, oil bypass).

Good luck!

Jonathan

Last edited by howell_jd; 11-10-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Was that a question? Yes it was.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Actually even a work truck can benefit from a good SCT tune and maybe even get better mileage. Monitoring the engine with a good system like the Edge Insight is not optional. Don't get one and you'll be paying way more down the road in unexpected repairs.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well first off let me say thanks for all the help!! It is mainly going to be a work truck, I have got a new job as a pumper, but i will also be using it for my perosnal use and i dont want to over do it, so maybe ill just go with exhuast and cold air and the things you listed.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron04 View Post
Well first off let me say thanks for all the help!! It is mainly going to be a work truck, I have got a new job as a pumper, but i will also be using it for my perosnal use and i dont want to over do it, so maybe ill just go with exhuast and cold air and the things you listed.
You won't need to get a cold air intake, the stock air filter is good up to 500hp and will out filter any aftermarket filter. Alot of aftermarket filters don't filter enough dirt and debris, and this will lead to destroying your turbo compressor wheel.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is good to know, i dont want to take it to the track and run it or anything its just mainly for personal and work use. A buddy of mine had an edge programer, cold air and exhuast on his and he never had a problem out of it. But he bought it with low miles then totaled it about 8 months later. Aslo i keep reading about this SCT Tune and i have no clue what that is? (sorry new to this whole thing) Im wanting better milage for sure, and i dont want something that is gonna kill my truck so im asking what products and what would be good for my truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.