Mileage when the problems start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mileage when the problems start?

My 06 has been a great truck for me so far, never had any major issues at all with it. Always starts and runs great. I only have about 43k on the truck now. I am in for major headaches soon? I am just out of the Ford warranty now. What mileage have you other 6 liter guys started to have problems at? I know there is no hard and fast number, but I was just curious. My truck doesnt get driven often but when it does, its usually for a long trip. Its never skipped a beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 07:08 PM
NOT a Democrat

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Some have issues early some go 100s of thousands without issues.

For simple mods to fix, I would get rid of your EGR cooler and I have just learned the gold ford coolant sucks. So swich to ELC.

Cheap mods that will elimate just about all issues with your truck.

Heck, while you are at it, lower your EGTs - make the cat go away.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Some have issues early some go 100s of thousands without issues.

For simple mods to fix, I would get rid of your EGR cooler and I have just learned the gold ford coolant sucks. So swich to ELC.

Cheap mods that will elimate just about all issues with your truck.

Heck, while you are at it, lower your EGTs - make the cat go away.
Now that I am out of warranty I am just concerned about any major repairs. I love the truck, but I dont want it to become a money pit. I read so many posts on here about guys and their trucks not running more than they do run. I wont/cant have that happen. My personal mechanic has an 07 6 liter and he has over 100k on his with no issues.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanchPSD View Post
Now that I am out of warranty I am just concerned about any major repairs. I love the truck, but I dont want it to become a money pit. I read so many posts on here about guys and their trucks not running more than they do run. I wont/cant have that happen. My personal mechanic has an 07 6 liter and he has over 100k on his with no issues.
Like Galaxie said change the coolent do this to start with
Coolant Flush for changing to ELC

Drain coolant by removing lower radiator hose. Drain block from plug on drivers side of the block. Remove the thermostat. Replace plug in block and put lower hose back on. Put thermostat housing back on without thermostat. Fill with distilled water. run for 5 minutes then drain as above. Install 1 gallon restore and fill with distilled water. Drive it for about 60-90 minutes. Drain and flush after. Flush 2 times with distilled water or what ever it takes to come clear. Replace thermostat or put in a new one. Put hose back, make sure block plug is tight. Add 3.5 gallons of ELC concentrate and top off with distilled water. Make sure to run engine for 5 minutes between flushes to circulate the water good. Have heater on set to hi while doing this to flush the heater core too. Do what ever it takes to get the Ford Gold cxxp out.
If you are going to keep it stock then look at my sig and install what i have they are a must for the long hall, but if you are going with tunes then you will need studs and other things down the road. I did not add the VC-9 to the coolent change because of the year and miles, others may think different. I will be doing the same thing as soon as the rain stops and i pick up everything, i have 28k on mine with 5 years of warranty left.
2 stroker
Old 11-10-2010, 03:07 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanchPSD View Post

Message boards will scare the crap out of ya! I would do the recomended EGR delete and coolant, your truck should live for a long time. I studded mine only to find it is was a good idea but the issues were more with the cooling system. While I did read about this, more than just reading, it makes sense.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:15 AM
Premium Member

Just like everyone said.... Take care of the coolant side. It is the root of all the problems. Delete the EGR cooler. Install a coolant filter. Switch to ELC if you like (it is the latest craze on here-removes the silicates that clog the oil cooler).
The biggest thing with our trucks is that you have to drive them..... I mean DRIVE them. If you just grandpa it around you will have some problems. That doesn't mean go crazy with it all the time. Keep up with the maintenance and you should have no issues.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Don't you worry about it

"If you just grandpa it around" HAHA I like that!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

a short list of common problems off the top of my head

egr/oil cooler--delete or upgrade egr, switch to elc coolant

headgaskets--usually caused by driving with blown egr cooler

ficm--can cause cold start issues. check voltage before it damages injectors. also check your strategy code as certain ones are know as ficm killers.

stc/dummy plugs--can cause hot starting issues. replace with most up to date part

fuel pressure--there is an updated spring to keep your fuel pressure in the correct range. low fuel pressure can cause injector issues.

turbo--work that sucker out every now and again. dont just pull into your parking spot and turn the truck off, let the turbo cool off first.

Last edited by diablos30; 11-10-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The coolant issue is a must... The only other things to look into is the ball joints usually around 50k-70k. Keep up on the preventative maintenance and it will pay dividends later. (fuel filters, oil changes, tranny flush and dif fliud changes.) Heard of some issues with wheel bearings and driveshafts at around 70k but I think that is more an operator error with driving in water or mudding and not cleaning and lubricating the points more than it is normal wear. Just rolled 90k on mine and so far so good just did an EGR and oil cooler but caught it in time before it blew the heads or damaged anything else. Good luck and Drive It. These truck do not like to sit and they do not run well when you mil;k them for fuel mileage. Especially if you have a VGR turbo.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:39 AM

Does anyone have the updated spring part #?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.