Temperature gauge question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temperature gauge question

In the morning I start my truck to warm it up before I leave home. It runs for about 10 min. When I get in the truck I look at the gauges and the Tranny temp is right at normal, but the water gauge isnít measuring at all, the needle is resting at the bottom of the gauge. As I start down the road the truck doesnít feel right, it feels like it isnít shifting correctly. As I get a mile or two the temp needle comes up and runs in its normal position and runs perfectly. I find this all very weird, I could understand if the tranny temp was in the cold position and the tranny ran rough, but thatís not the case. Is there a direct correlation between the engine temp and the way the transmission shifts, or do I have two separate problems. I noticed over the weekend dried up antifreeze around and below the degas canister. In the last two years Iíve replaced the Oil cooler once and EGR cooler twice. I was even told they swapped out my head bolts, but I seriously doubt it. Any insight on this would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroaz View Post
In the morning I start my truck to warm it up before I leave home. It runs for about 10 min. When I get in the truck I look at the gauges and the Tranny temp is right at normal, but the water gauge isnít measuring at all, the needle is resting at the bottom of the gauge. As I start down the road the truck doesnít feel right, it feels like it isnít shifting correctly. As I get a mile or two the temp needle comes up and runs in its normal position and runs perfectly. I find this all very weird, I could understand if the tranny temp was in the cold position and the tranny ran rough, but thatís not the case. Is there a direct correlation between the engine temp and the way the transmission shifts, or do I have two separate problems. I noticed over the weekend dried up antifreeze around and below the degas canister. In the last two years Iíve replaced the Oil cooler once and EGR cooler twice. I was even told they swapped out my head bolts, but I seriously doubt it. Any insight on this would be great.
When your truck is cold where is the coolent in the degas tank it should be on the add mark coolent on the outside of the bottle is not good. The gauges on these trucks are a joke the only one that works is the boost when the others move it is to late. You need something like the Edge Insight to check the difference between ECT-EOT max 15 degrees 55-60 mph highway speed if you have more your coolers are plugged do you have a coolent filter on it, that is also a must. Have you changed the trans filter the little roll of T/P up front Idle time of 10 min is to long 1 to 2 min or you will be having turbo and EGR valve problems.
2 stroker
Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
Idle time of 10 min is to long 1 to 2 min or you will be having turbo and EGR valve problems.
False. Your truck needs to warm up a little bit before you drive it. Turbo problems come from trucks not being ran for extended periods of time and from not opening her up and letting it work every now and again.\

To the OP does it ever have problems starting or a long crank?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
In the morning I start my truck to warm it up before I leave home. It runs for about 10 min. When I get in the truck I look at the gauges and the Tranny temp is right at normal, but the water gauge isn’t measuring at all, the needle is resting at the bottom of the gauge. As I start down the road the truck doesn’t feel right, it feels like it isn’t shifting correctly. As I get a mile or two the temp needle comes up and runs in its normal position and runs perfectly. I find this all very weird, I could understand if the tranny temp was in the cold position and the tranny ran rough, but that’s not the case. Is there a direct correlation between the engine temp and the way the transmission shifts, or do I have two separate problems. I noticed over the weekend dried up antifreeze around and below the degas canister. In the last two years I’ve replaced the Oil cooler once and EGR cooler twice. I was even told they swapped out my head bolts, but I seriously doubt it. Any insight on this would be great.
Well if your puking it's because your oil cooler is clogged and maybe the EGR cooler blown as well. This time if you have to keep the EGR cooler put the Bulletproof Diesel cooler in it. If not delete it. Replace the oil cooler again.

If you don't want this to keep happening you need to stop using Ford's Gold coolant and switch to ELC coolant, I don't care what Ford or their mechanics say about this. You also need to get an Edge Insight or something that will let you monitor your coolant and oil temps to know if your cooler is clogging before you blow something else.

As for the temp gauge they are pretty much a joke but either your sensor is bad or your thermostat is stuck open.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to troid123
Quote:
Sounds normal to me. My truck has done this since new....I would not worry about it..
Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2 Strk.. There is coolant in the degas canister in the morning. This morning it was tough to start and idled rough and smoked a little. That being said it was 40deg out. Also, In the past when both coolers were out it puked fairly often, now it pukes fairly infrequent now. Although if I was to tow I'd probably be singing a different tune. I'm really concerned as to why the temp needle doesnt move until I get a couple miles down the road, the truck runs like crap until the needle begings to move. Once warmed up the truck runs great.

I purchaed this truck a year old and I've had nothing but problens since day one. I've owned 6 Ford trucks and due to the piece of cr@p 6.0 motor it's been the worse vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
When your truck is cold where is the coolent in the degas tank it should be on the add mark coolent on the outside of the bottle is not good. The gauges on these trucks are a joke the only one that works is the boost when the others move it is to late. You need something like the Edge Insight to check the difference between ECT-EOT max 15 degrees 55-60 mph highway speed if you have more your coolers are plugged do you have a coolent filter on it, that is also a must. Have you changed the trans filter the little roll of T/P up front Idle time of 10 min is to long 1 to 2 min or you will be having turbo and EGR valve problems.
2 stroker
This is wrong, when your truck is at normal operating range your coolant should be at the min, per the new TSB. Your coolant will be about an inch below the min mark when cold...
Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thats where mine reads
Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 AM

The needle won't move until coolant temps are above 100 deg. Get an insight.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

should take 10 min of warmup and driving down the road a few miles to bring the engine temp to 100deg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.