Turns over but does not start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turns over but does not start?

I have a completly stock 05 6.0 thats had a few starting issues lately. I tried to start it one day about a month ago and it wouldnt start. I came back to it hours later and after an extended amount of cranking i got it to start. and since then have not had an issue except occasionally it took slightly longer to start than normal. Until last night. I tried for about 20 minutes and it just wouldnt start. it just turned over and over. i hooked up some jumper cables this morning and after an extended amount of cranking it fired up. The only thing I can think of that has happened in this time is I got extremely close to running out of fuel and possibly something from the bottom of the tank is in the fuel filter. its either a fuel or spark issue. Either way i scheduled an 90000 mile tuneup and hope that after the filters are changed im problem free. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 AM

Check your fuel filters if they haven't been changed lately. If they're fairly clean i would say your batteries are weak or you STC fitting has gone on you
Old 11-08-2010, 07:26 AM

My 2005 PSD just went through this, but mine died at an intersection while driving for the final blow. It was takeing longer and longer to start while cranking. Same as yours. It is at my dealer now and it is the STC fitting blown out. Once the STC fitting goes out you will be stranded, the truck will not start no matter what. While they have my truck torn apart they also found my EGR, and Engine oil coolers where bad and needed to be replaced. I am looking at a nice $2600 bill today for all this work.

If you have under 100k go in now with it, it will be covered. If over 100k then it is on out of your pocket.

Hope this helps a little, good luck.

Jason
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM

i bought it used... and didnt get a warranty so im not sure it will be covered... unless they still honor the 100,000 powertrain. i know it isnt the batteries they did wonders in the extend about of cranking they had to do. so when it goes into the shop i should get them to check out the stc fitting also? depending on the shape of the fuel filters. i need this truck to get me through the next 3 weeks and i deploy. while im gone it will be getting egr delete, headstuds, exhaust, intake, gauges, etc.

Last edited by fiffer; 11-08-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: submitted before finished
Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Yes even if you buy it used the 100k warranty still aplies. Take it in and have them look at it, and tell them just what you said to us, and they should check the STC fitting. It requires some tearing down of the top of the motor so it is not an hour fix if you know what I mean.

What branch are you in? I am 31B US Army.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.