Edge Evolution - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Evolution

My first upgrade. Installed a Edge Evolution on my 2006 f250. The mechanic that sold it to me said that if it were his, he would leave it set at the #4 setting. This is the performance setting. His thought process is that the more hp and torq should make the truck not work as hard as long as I keep my foot off the floor. Since this is my first powerstroke I was wondering if anyone had an opinion. Thanks. I still can not believe the amount of power just adding the Edge product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just installed my evolution 2 days ago, wow what a difference. Just love it. I leave mine on the top tune too. Drives great. I've had Edge products on all my vehicles and they always exceed expectations. Custom tuning is available if you want to go that route.

Get ready for the anti's to show up soon and tell you the Edge is garbage and it will wreck your trans. My guess is they've never had one and didn't get to see the TCM getting programmed. Most of them confuse the Evo (has trans program) with the Juice which has no trans programming and leaves the trans uncalibrated for the extra power. Some things just get regurgitated on forums.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check out Power Hungry Performance (site sponsor), Bill can get your Evolution to carry custom tunes. If you send it to them he upgrades it to a Gryphon and you can also do remote ECM and FICM re-flash. I am looking for an Evolution then going to roll my Ex's strategy back to something that gets better mileage and more aggressive tow/haul mode downshifts.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. Would you know about what kind of 0 to 60 numbers I should got?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:31 PM

I have the edge juice platinum with attitude and have never had a problem. I've had other problems but nothing due to the edge. I don't know why people would think the juice doesn't have tranny control, mine does. I do have to disagree with driving around on 4 though. I've talked to literally dozens of techs, programmers, mechanics and the like and all have said do not drive around with any programmer on a higher setting. I have been told this combined with a lead foot are causing the head gasket failures.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwattro View Post
I just installed my evolution 2 days ago, wow what a difference. Just love it. I leave mine on the top tune too. Drives great. I've had Edge products on all my vehicles and they always exceed expectations. Custom tuning is available if you want to go that route.

Get ready for the anti's to show up soon and tell you the Edge is garbage and it will wreck your trans. My guess is they've never had one and didn't get to see the TCM getting programmed. Most of them confuse the Evo (has trans program) with the Juice which has no trans programming and leaves the trans uncalibrated for the extra power. Some things just get regurgitated on forums.
Ok I'll bite. When you say the Edge can program the TCM what can it do? Aside from my SCT I've only had one other programmer, a Bullydog. It only allowed me to bump up my shift pressure, that's it. Having someone make custom tunes for you allows WAY more than that. From shift points to when to engage the torque converter a tuner can do.

Also to the OP. Do you have gauges? If not I would highly recommend whatever programmer you use to be careful until you do. You'd be surprised how high your egt's get when using a programmer...
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
I like the evo. I would like one for what I can do (ficm tuning ecm roll backs). Now the attitude or juice module... I wouldn't chance messing up a tire backing over it in the drive way. They DO NOT tune the tranny. You cannot tune the tranny and have shift on the fly. Just dosent happen.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979 View Post
I like the evo. I would like one for what I can do (ficm tuning ecm roll backs). Now the attitude or juice module... I wouldn't chance messing up a tire backing over it in the drive way. They DO NOT tune the tranny. You cannot tune the tranny and have shift on the fly. Just dosent happen.
Really? So what does it mean when I access the tranny tune on my Juice? Am I just imagining the tranny interface? There are several parameters in regards to allowing tranny learn and schedule and shift firmness. Aside from making it a full manual control I fail to see where this is not considered tranny tuning. I know that the original Juice even with Attitude did not have any tranny interface, but this does not apply to the Platinum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge website
Edge Products introduces the Juice Platinum for the Ford 6.0L, the most powerful module ever. The Juice Platinum increases engine output and monitors powertrain vitals while adding a host of new attributes, including a Turbo Timer, expanded transmission control and even DTC code clearing.

The Turbo Timer is the latest in a long list of Juice Platinum safeguards. This feature prolongs turbo life by allowing the truck to run after shut-off for a predetermined time or until a specific EGT is reached. Carryover protective features include automatic defueling to prevent excessive EGT, boost and transmissions slip; cold-engine protec....

Improved Driveability Features:
• Low Boost Fueling Adjustment
Shift Defuel Setting
• Shift Firmness Control

• Speed Limiter Removal
• Axle Ratio Adjustment

Safety Features:
• EGT Backdown Setpoint
• Boost Backdown Setpoint
Transmission Slip Protection
• Cold Engine Protection
• Turbo Cool Down

Last edited by DarinCraft; 11-07-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
defueling for tranny shifting, adjusting line pressure and turning off the power once the tranny is toast is not what i call trans tuning. we are not talking about a turbo 350 with a detent cable... we are talking about a tranny that has 6 forward gears, several shift strategies dependant on temprature and driving style, adaptive learning, engine braking etc. adjusting line pressure and defueling shifts is not trans tuning in my book. telling the tranny when to shift, how to shift and, when to lock the torque convertor, etc... that is trans tuning. it also requires you to shut the engine off and turn the key on to program it. im really sorry that edge lied to you, or told you a half truth.

Last edited by Lubbockguy1979; 11-08-2010 at 03:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.