Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Glow plug help please!!!

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  spikinfool05 
#1 ·
So I recently switched from a duramax to a 2003 Ford F250 6.0L, and I am now having some problems. When I put the key in the ignition, the glow plug indicator does not shut off...even after the engine is started. Now I know that even when the light is off the glow plugs stay on for approximately 2 minutes for the engine to heat up...However in my case the light stays on for the entirety of the drive. Is it the sensor, the glow plugs themselves, what?? Please I need help pronto!! :icon_ford:

#2 ·
You may have a glow plug failure. I encourage you to get a code reader and be on the lookout for any of the following:
P0671 - Glow plug to cylinder #1 bad
P0672 - Glow plug to cylinder #2 bad
P0673 - Glow plug to cylinder #3 bad
P0674 - Glow plug to cylinder #4 bad
P0675 - Glow plug to cylinder #5 bad
P0676 - Glow plug to cylinder #6 bad
P0677 - Glow plug to cylinder #7 bad
P0678 - Glow plug to cylinder #8 bad
There could be a loose wiring harness too. There are some known chafing points although I seem to recall these affect injectors more than glow plugs.

I think there is a way to get the odometer to provide the codes too...I'll see if I can locate that but you can get the codes read at almost any autoparts store for free.

Jonathan

P.S. Welcome to PowerStroke.org - I hope the Mods can get you added to the Military Member section.

#4 ·
to do the odometer thing u have to put in on the "ON" position and holding down the odo/trip button( to swtich between trip and odo) and hold it till all your gauges do a sweep, then u can turn it on and hit the button to cycle thru all the information. to go back to normal just shut the truck off, i dont know all the info it provides and i know i read it somewhere but cant seem to find it now

#6 ·
That is the method that I was looking for in my links too. Thanks, Stoked777. I had it bookmarked but the link no longer brings up any valid address...perhaps the page was moved or deleted - probably a server migration thing.

The method described by Stoked777 should bring up DTC codes. As you cycle through them, write them down. You may post the codes here or do a search for the descriptions. My guess is that you have a loose harness or a wire is shorted or a glow plug could be broken.

I'm not aware that any of these causes the "wait to start" or "glow plug warming up" indicator to remain illuminated though. It might not hurt to check out the fuze panel as well.

You can also check each glow plug with a voltmeter for continuity and each glow plug socket/connector as well.

I haven't tried to read codes by the Key Off, Odometer Reset, Ignition On method and I don't have any codes to read now.

You don't need to buy a code reader either. All the places like AutoZone, O'Reillys, NAPA, etc. will read codes for you without charge. It is also probably a good idea to get an OASIS report for your truck from the Ford dealer. Just give them the VIN and they'll print it out for you - it will show you recall and warranty work performed on your truck...good for getting an idea of areas the truck may have previous issues mechanically speaking.

Unless the glow plugs stay on all the time I wouldn't worry as long as the truck starts. They get HOT!

Good luck. Safe travels.

Jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.