fuel bowl question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel bowl question

im chasing down a cold starting issue. i only have a problem with the truck starting for the first time of the day, the rest of the day it starts fine.

well i tested ficm and icp (both fine) but when i was testing the icp i heard a leaking sound near the fuel bowl. it can be heard in the vid 10-14 secs.

[/QUOTE]

i also noticied the fuel bowl was completely drained when i checked the filter (thought maybe it wasnt seated in the cap or had twisted).

so my question is could this be causing the cold start issue? could the fuel system be losing its prime due to this leakdown? is there a check valve to replace or a some sort of rebuild kit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Serving Our Country!

bueler? bueler?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well......the fuel pump comes on during the wait to start cycle so even if it was leaking down when you shut the truck off it would still pump itself back up almost immediately. If you did have a fuel leak at the bowl it would show itself simply by turning the key on once or twice. The "loop" you see in the fuel supply line is to prevent drainback, but I'm not sure how well it works. A fuel pressure gauge would tell you a lot. When is the last time you changed your fuel filters? Also, have you had your batteries individually load tested and your charging system checked? You can have a lot of starting problems simply from weak batteries.

You don't specifically describe what kind of cold start problem you have. Is it a long crank to start??
Old 11-07-2010, 03:28 AM
Serving Our Country!

thats what its doing, but usually it dies, restart may clear it up or it may die again. then it runs fine the rest of the day.

what is that leaking sound i am hearing from the filter housing though? could that be causing just enough air in the system to cause this issue?

im going to go to sears today and get a pressure gauge to see whats going on with that.

cant tell ya off the top of my head the exact date the filters were replaced but i can tell you they are not due yet, and i drain the water every 3k miles.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's not a fuel pressure issue. More like ICP/IPR issue. You need to get a scanner or autoengenuity on it to see what's going on. Surge like that is typically ICP, not fuel pressure, however fuel pressure is VERY important. You probably won't find any fuel pressure gauge help at Sears. Try sinister diesel/ITP for a gauge and adapter setup since it needs to screw into that plug just to the bottom left of the secondary fuel filter. I can't hear the sound the secondary filter is making, but I will venture to say that if you key on and don't see fuel running then you probably don't have a fuel leak or air getting into the system.

One other thought comes to mind is that it's simply cranky injectors. Regardless you need to get it on a scanner and get it checked out.

Last edited by npccpartsman; 11-07-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Serving Our Country!

no there arent any leaks, it just sounds like air escaping, which lead me to think that the bowl was draining down allowing air into the system.

i tested icp voltage, koeo was .23 and dont remember exactly what it was cranking but it was above .8
Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

well i broke down and ordered the AE, still going to go to sears and see if they have a fuel pressure test kit.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't know what you are hearing but once you change the filter and purge the air in the system there shouldn't be any way for air to get into the system for the fuel to drain back.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

it sounds like a hissing noise, you have to crank your speakers up and really listen. you can hear it from 10-14secs in the vid.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

maybe thats a little clearer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.