Bulletproof now or can it wait? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bulletproof now or can it wait?

Call me lazy or whatever other name comes to mind, but I'm looking for some opinions. So, I have the semi-bulletproof kit sitting in my garage waiting to go in and was just gonna do it since I didn't have a way to monitor ECT/EOT. However, a buddy of mine had to sell his truck and told me I can use his Insight CS until he gets another truck or I buy my own. Currently temps are sitting pretty 190/ECT and 199-200/EOT.

So with the beautiful weather kicking in here in the pacific northwest, I should be fine putting off doing the work until spring as long as those temps don't do the dreaded 15* gap, right? Unfortunately, the truck doesn't fit in the garage so I'm stuck doin the work outside when it does gets done.

Last edited by turbo347stang; 11-06-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should try flushing the cooling system with VC-9 cleaner, getting rid of the Ford Gold Coolant and going to ELC coolant. I wouldn't wait, I'd do it way before your oil cooler stops up while you can still save it. I don't recall exactly what's in the semi bulletproof package--EGR cooler maybe?--but that would be a great time to do the VC-9 and install your semibulletproof system AND ELC coolant.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:55 AM
Serving Our Country!

The "semi-bulletproof system" is the BPD EGR cooler and a stock Ford oil cooler. It's the system I have.

I agree a flush is a good idea. The dual flush with Restore and either VC-9 or Restore Plus is the way to go as demonstrated by many examples on the forum here.

I wouldn't wait on installing the BPD EGR cooler and new oil cooler either. Enjoy driving in the great weather with peace of mind even though your oil cooler temps are in such good shape. Give the Restore/VC-9 flushes a chance to keep the new oil cooler clear by performing them BEFORE the installation.

Perhaps the best observation here is that when the temperature difference grows, it grows quickly and has immediate and catastrophic consequences. As you don't indicate that you have a pyrometer to monitor EGTs you will not be aware of just how hot your engine runs on hills or smokin' some other guy's 'stang.

The BPD EGR cooler is stronger than the stock EGR cooler. Since you've already made the investment monetarily, match the contribution with your time too. You don't want to share the anxiety of those of us who have seen the fluffy white smoke screen.

Jonathan

Last edited by howell_jd; 11-07-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Punctuation. Grammar. Spelling. Grr.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Serving Our Country!

i would throw in the updated stc fitting while i had it that far apart.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
These guys are giving you good advise. That's all I can contribute.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Emergency Services

Man you guys are like my wife, always gotta be the voices of reason . Never the less, I know you're all right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
Enjoy driving in the great weather with peace of mind even though your oil cooler temps are in such good shape.
I was being sarcastic about the beautiful weather. NW weather this time of year is rain, rain, oh and did I mention pouring rain .
Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 AM

Another thing you can do to limit the egr functions is to unplugg the egr valve, this will stop the exhaust flow.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
Another thing you can do to limit the egr functions is to unplugg the egr valve, this will stop the exhaust flow.
Sorry Steve, this is not a cure-all, with some truck stradegies on certain year trucks, this may cause other issues with there trucks.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Do the STC fitting, its a must for the 05 and 06. Mine just went out, as well as the EGR and oil cooler are being replaced on my 05. $2600 later. There were little to no warnings before they went out.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo347stang View Post
Call me lazy or whatever other name comes to mind, but I'm looking for some opinions. So, I have the semi-bulletproof kit sitting in my garage waiting to go in and was just gonna do it since I didn't have a way to monitor ECT/EOT. However, a buddy of mine had to sell his truck and told me I can use his Insight CS until he gets another truck or I buy my own. Currently temps are sitting pretty 190/ECT and 199-200/EOT.

So with the beautiful weather kicking in here in the pacific northwest, I should be fine putting off doing the work until spring as long as those temps don't do the dreaded 15* gap, right? Unfortunately, the truck doesn't fit in the garage so I'm stuck doin the work outside when it does gets done.
Whats this 15* gap you mentioned? I pull and 18,000 gooseneck every weekend in the summer, almost every weekend my truck threw that code, what exactly does it mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.