Condition of EGR Valve - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Condition of EGR Valve

ok, finally got the EGR valve off and looked inside. The valve itself does not appear to have that much carbon built up on it but I dont really have anything to compare it to. What I have read here and people have told me, it really seems pretty clean. I took some pictures but havent figured out how to post them here yet.
I also looked inside the EGR housing and I certainly wouldnt call it a "steam clean" look. I can see what appears to be carbon on the bottom and maybe some signs of moisture but it really didnt grab me as excessive, again, not quite sure what normal looks like. Truck has 120,000 miles on it so I am sure it wouldnt be surgical room clean and have some signs of wear.
I also havent noticed any liquid coming out from the exhaust pipe.
All of this revolves some of my previous threads regarding potential EGR and oil cooler problems.
Have I gotten lucky and maybe caught the problem before it has gotten bad? I believe that a potential problem is brewing but maybe nothing has been damaged yet.
What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not having a lot of buildup is a good sign, so is not having coolant visible in the intake.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Not having a lot of buildup is a good sign, so is not having coolant visible in the intake.
Hey brother, I dont know what to call you but I just wanted to thank you for the information. I have learned more about my truck from you in a few days than I have in weeks worth of research, your knowledge is invaluable!!
So it sounds like I may be catching this early. I know it doesnt change the inevitable, but at least I feel more comfortable knowing that there probably isnt any permanent damage done. I think the issue is still there due to the fact I have coolant blowback through the degass cap and that the bottle itself is cracked.
I discovered something else this morning. A few months ago I noticed a strong diesel smell whenever the engine was running. I started investigating and found a drip coming from the diesel filter housing where that long "O" shaped o-ring is. I bought a new one and replaced it, really wasnt any big deal and that stopped the problem. That was about 3 to 4 months ago. This morning I noticed the same diesel smell and that was the first place I looked and sure enough, it was dripping again. Is that the normal life expectancy of this o-ring or is there another potential problem brewing.
One other thing, since all of these problems started, I have noticed that when I first start the truck in the morning, it runs really rough and seems to pulse for a couple of minutes until it warms up, after that, it runs fine. There is also a very strange and strong odor that comes from the exhaust as soon as it is started and that is the only time I notice it. Any guesses what could be causing this and that o-ring to fail so soon?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

First you can call me by any variation of my screen name, brother or man is ok, or by my given name which is Mitch. I respond to pretty much anything. As for your fuel pressure regulator housing leaking 3 months after replacing the o-ring that isn't normal. I suggest getting the updated regulator rebuild kit with the upgraded spring. This will raise your fuel pressure by about 10*. The original spring is weak and looses its strength over time letting your fuel pressure get too low. It is part #3C3Z-9T517-AG. This kit comes with a new housing. Make sure you clean the filter bowl mating surface real well and I use a little wheel bearing grease to make sure the o-ring doesn't shift and get pinched when installing it. Does it smoke real bad until it warms up? If so it could be your FICM. There is a FICM repair procedure in the 6.0 tech section. Check your voltage while running and cranking. If it drops below 46v your FICM is going bad. If your FICM tests out ok then I would say you are experiencing injector stiction. Throw a couple of bottles of Rev-X in your oil and that should take care of it. You need to use 2 bottles. I know Eric at IDP sells Rev-X or you can buy it direct from the company. Just do a google search and it'll give you the web site for them.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Has anyone tried coating that leaking o ring with a little silicone to keep it from leaking so soon?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2070 View Post
Has anyone tried coating that leaking o ring with a little silicone to keep it from leaking so soon?
This is not a typical problem with the 6.0. I would figure out why it is leaking and fix the problem. Using a silicone sealant in this would be a bandaid fix. It might work but any silicone that squeezed out and into the pressure regulator internals could cause problems.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
First you can call me by any variation of my screen name, brother or man is ok, or by my given name which is Mitch. I respond to pretty much anything. As for your fuel pressure regulator housing leaking 3 months after replacing the o-ring that isn't normal. I suggest getting the updated regulator rebuild kit with the upgraded spring. This will raise your fuel pressure by about 10*. The original spring is weak and looses its strength over time letting your fuel pressure get too low. It is part #3C3Z-9T517-AG. This kit comes with a new housing. Make sure you clean the filter bowl mating surface real well and I use a little wheel bearing grease to make sure the o-ring doesn't shift and get pinched when installing it. Does it smoke real bad until it warms up? If so it could be your FICM. There is a FICM repair procedure in the 6.0 tech section. Check your voltage while running and cranking. If it drops below 46v your FICM is going bad. If your FICM tests out ok then I would say you are experiencing injector stiction. Throw a couple of bottles of Rev-X in your oil and that should take care of it. You need to use 2 bottles. I know Eric at IDP sells Rev-X or you can buy it direct from the company. Just do a google search and it'll give you the web site for them.
ok, I will check into that. I may have pinched the o-ring when I put it in, didnt use any grease to hold it in place.
It doesnt smoke at all while its warming up, maybe a little puff when it initially turns over, but thats it. Even when I step on it, I get very little of the black smoke and I have never seen the "white" smoke some say comes out as a result of the EGR or Oil cooler going bad.
I will get some Rev-x and add it. Do I need to add it at the oil change or can I add it at anytime?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

You can add it any time but 2 bottles is about $70. I would add it at an oil change unless you have a few thousand miles left before a change. This stuff works really fast if it is a stiction issue. Add the Rev-X and drive it around for 10 minutes or so. Great stuff.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
You can add it any time but 2 bottles is about $70. I would add it at an oil change unless you have a few thousand miles left before a change. This stuff works really fast if it is a stiction issue. Add the Rev-X and drive it around for 10 minutes or so. Great stuff.
Will 2 cycle oil do the same thing? Some guys are using this for more lubrication. I personally have not tried this got any info?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Hey Mitch, I have an 07 6L, do I have the weaker spring or was it changed by 07?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.