1st winter with diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1st winter with diesel

i live in central illinois where temps in the winter are anywhere from 40 to 0 and not out of the question to get below 0. now when should i plug it in and for how long? should it be plugged in all night or what? also how long should i let it idle before driving it in those temps? would leaving my sct program on the truck in the winter hurt it? any other tips or advice would be appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I plug mine in pretty much any night it gets below freezing if I know I need it the next morning for sure. It doesn't really need it all the way up to freezing, but it sure makes it warm up faster. I've heard that if its below 10, you should plan on plugging it in.

AS far as how long to plug it in, longer the better. I plug mine in all night just cause I don't want to have to worry about it in the morning, but if you've got over an hour before you leave and think to plug it in, I would.

Oh, And I let it idle for quite a while if its not plugged in and its really cold. Generally try to wait to drive it until the needle moves a bit, and don't really get on it until it gets on the low end of the normal range...Plugged in, 10-15 min high idle. Not plugged in and really cold, 20+min high idle.

I've got a 6 pos chip and won't switch it out of stock programming until the temp needle gets to normal range. I don't know if it will hurt anything to run tunes when its cold, but I would just rather not push it...

Last edited by e99f2506sp; 11-03-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 AM

I plan on pluging mine in pretty soon. Winters around here gets to below zero for a couple months minimum. Minus 30-40 at night is not uncommon. I'm also getting an Astro Start that will start the truck at predetermined intervals and run for 15 minutes or so each time.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Leaving it plugged in longer than 3 hours is just a waste of electricity. I have mine on a timer to go on 3 hours before I leave for work.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Quote:
Originally Posted by majek5 View Post
Leaving it plugged in longer than 3 hours is just a waste of electricity. I have mine on a timer to go on 3 hours before I leave for work.
+1 mines about 2.5 to 3 hours before on a timer, I let the needle move bofore i drive off. mine is tuned all the time
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 AM

What about the starting every 3-4 hours for 15 min, good or bad? It will only do it below zero.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
What about the starting every 3-4 hours for 15 min, good or bad? It will only do it below zero.
Not sure. I know I hate shutting mine down cold. Im not sure why I hate it though. lol!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
My trucks sweet spot is 4 hours. It is warmer than if I have it set for 3 hours. My Edge will tell me for sure though!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:36 AM

waist of gas/diesel. x2 on the timer and the needle thing
Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Bird is the Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower8 View Post
i live in central illinois where temps in the winter are anywhere from 40 to 0 and not out of the question to get below 0. now when should i plug it in and for how long? should it be plugged in all night or what? also how long should i let it idle before driving it in those temps? would leaving my sct program on the truck in the winter hurt it? any other tips or advice would be appreciated thanks
What part of Central illinois are you from? I'm from Ridge farm about 45 minutes E of champaign
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.