Flush What - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 08:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flush What

Let me just first introduce myself to you. My name is Phil and I live in SanAntonio I am 49 and this is my first diesel. I bought my 2005 f350 in July with 74000 miles and I have 77000 now and I am doing my oil cooler this Thanksgiving weekend (getting higher than 15 deg. EOT from ECT) along with the Bulletproof EGR cooler and Dieselsite coolant filtration system and I also bought the kit to up grade the STC fitting in the HPOP. Now this brings me to my question. What is it I am trying to flush out of my coolant system. I first thought it was sand by what I was reading on here and now I am reading that it is silicate gel.
I am trying to figure out what cleaner I should use. I read on Fleetguards web page the Restore is good for (Silicate gel, oil, grease, and fuel) and Restore plus is for (rust, scale, oil, grease, fuel, and solder bloom). The VC-9 I know is a iron cleaner but what it would actually clean out I donít know so Iím having trouble figuring out witch to use. This project is cleaning out my wallet so Iím trying to stick with just one cleaner. I also notice itís debatable on here as to do the flush before or after the parts change. So Iím thinking before is the way to go. So any advice on the cleaner to use and why would be much appreciated. I should also mention all the mods Iím doing is from what I have read on here so thanks for helping me save my 6.0
I know there are other posts going on about flushing but I did not want to hijack someone elseís post.

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I went with the Restore. My reasoning being its an international engine so use the international cleaner. Also the Restore is cheaper then vc-9. The silicates are the big problem so use the cleaner to get them out.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Serving Our Country!

If you bought the truck used I would start with an OASIS report (from any Ford dealer and it's free...provide your VIN to the service desk). That will let you know if any warranty work on the truck has been performed - especially one involving the EGR valve, EGR cooler, and oil cooler in this particular case. It may very well be that the previous owner did not have Ford do work though so if you have records those will also help. If there was warranty work done on the engine (not unlikely) then the dealer probably did a VC-9 flush so you could "opt out" of a re-treatment

I agree that the silicate gel is a contributing problem to oil cooler blockage and Restore is a great product (is there any other?) to facilitate gel elimination from the system. I think either VC-9 (or Restore Plus or any other iron cleaner) is also a good idea if there is any doubt of the coolant and its dillutant (tap versus distilled water will make a BIG difference) used in the first 74000 miles though. The point is that the products are different - one is an ACID and the other an ALKALINE (BASE).

The way to definitively make a decision for ONLY one product is to have your coolant spectroanalyzed through a lab such as Blackstone, Predictive Services, Oil Analyzers, etc. If the results show high wear metals then a VC-9 treatment is not a bad idea. Silicate content is harder to predict (although you can use the Fleetguard coolant test strips as a predictor - not confirmation) as there are many sources based on the coolant used...it might show up in sodium or boron or whatever solution of SCA the coolant uses. You can get a test kit for the sample from the labs fairly quickly:
Blackstone Labs
Predictive Maintenance Services, Inc.
Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services

Good luck.

Jonathan
Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For my 2 cents worth I would say with that mileage do both flushes. Definitely do them before changing the oil cooler. I would flush first with Restore Plus (or VC-9) for 60 to 90 minutes. Flush that out and follow with the Restore for at least the same amount of time. Then flush till clear and follow with 3-5 flushes of distilled water to get rid of any tap water in the block. Drain, do your repairs then fill with ELC and distilled water. The bright side is that you won't have to do this again unless you have to tear into the motor for some reason but then you can just refill with ELC and distilled water.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
For my 2 cents worth I would say with that mileage do both flushes. Definitely do them before changing the oil cooler. I would flush first with Restore Plus (or VC-9) for 60 to 90 minutes. Flush that out and follow with the Restore for at least the same amount of time. Then flush till clear and follow with 3-5 flushes of distilled water to get rid of any tap water in the block. Drain, do your repairs then fill with ELC and distilled water. The bright side is that you won't have to do this again unless you have to tear into the motor for some reason but then you can just refill with ELC and distilled water.
Just read this after I sent you a PM about exactly what to do and which steps to take. Have you done a write up on the dos and do nots of this process? You seems well versed. JJ
Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
JJ I will get back to you on the PM. I did write something on what I do and it is in a couple of threads in this forum. The important thing is to flush it good until clear, do a few more with distilled and fill with ELC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.