well boys at just shy of 85000mi i think my headgaskets took a crap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well boys at just shy of 85000mi i think my headgaskets took a crap

the last 2 weeks ive had to add coolant and noticed signs of puking, i already have the egr delete so the egr cooler is out of the question, today i went and got a new surge tank cap, filled coolant to the min line and went for a nice little drive, beating the crap out of her the entire time, came back coolant was puked all over, the funny thing is it never got over 192-196 degrees and oil temps never exceeded 8 degrees difference. most head gasket issues ive seen on cummins engines at work always overheat if compression is getting in the cooling system. anyways im going to do the head gaskets myself with the cab on, if anyone has some good tips please let me know, i plan on using arp studs, black onyx gaskets (if worth it), like to do the stc fitting fix, and possibly and oil cooler (although it dont think it need to be changed) i want to find somewhere with a kit with all the gaskets and o rings i will be needing. also wondering how big of a pita it is to remove the hvac box from the chassis and if you can get the condensor off with it without draining the refrigerant? any help will be appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
not sure about the disassembly procedure since i had a shop do my studs and egr delete but here is a site that sells complete kits. Complete 6.0 Ford Powerstroke Solution
Old 11-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard View Post
the last 2 weeks ive had to add coolant and noticed signs of puking, i already have the egr delete so the egr cooler is out of the question, today i went and got a new surge tank cap, filled coolant to the min line and went for a nice little drive, beating the crap out of her the entire time, came back coolant was puked all over, the funny thing is it never got over 192-196 degrees and oil temps never exceeded 8 degrees difference. most head gasket issues ive seen on cummins engines at work always overheat if compression is getting in the cooling system. anyways im going to do the head gaskets myself with the cab on, if anyone has some good tips please let me know, i plan on using arp studs, black onyx gaskets (if worth it), like to do the stc fitting fix, and possibly and oil cooler (although it dont think it need to be changed) i want to find somewhere with a kit with all the gaskets and o rings i will be needing. also wondering how big of a pita it is to remove the hvac box from the chassis and if you can get the condensor off with it without draining the refrigerant? any help will be appreciated. thanks
Have you verified the presence of hydrocarbons in the degass tank? I would do that before tearing it apart. Good luck with the repair.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 PM

How do I do check that? Never done it before, I don't know what else it would be if it wasn't the head gaskets
Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A shop with a probe can do it in a couple of minutes.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Also, if you do get in there, DO change the oil cooler, Cheap insurance since you are going to be in the engine anyway.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 AM

just called my dealer, said they would do studs and gaskets under warranty and stc fitting and oil cooler at parts cost unless the cooler is covered with headgaskets. i have to buy the studs is all, they said they would turn the other cheek to my egr delete. going in first thing monday, i should do them myself but i paid for ford extended warranty so i might as well use it.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Pay the extra money to have your heads checked at a machine shop. flatness and magnafluxed for cracks. Cheap insurance or you could be doing headgaskets sooner than you want.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard View Post
Am I missing something...looking at your sig...it appears you've already been through all this...what happened?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 PM

i just changed my sig after i got the work done, my dealer did it under warranty, studs, oil cooler, stc fitting, coolant flush and oil change, dealer said they check the heads for warpage and they were ok, no they didnt magnaflux them. trucks back runs great, no issues what so ever with the work they did, i know the service writer that took care of everything and hes a good guy, he wouldnt have done the work if they were going to half _ _ _ it. i need to change coolant though i dont want the ford gold junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.