new to the 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to the 6.0

i just got my first diesel (2004 F250 6.0 crew cab long bed) and have been told by just about anyone ive talked to that i should be getting between 16 and 20 mgp. after driving it for about 2 months i am only getting 13-14 mgp and that watching the rpm. is their anything i can do to get better mgp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
4x4? Lifted? what size tires? Gears? I saw 18.5 mpg once on a trip and I was driving the he11 out of it,75-90 through the mountains. My current mileage usually comes in around 12.5 mixed round town highway.

Get your FICM flashed by PHP and you make pick up a couple.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

most everyone that is running a 6.0 is running custom tunes with an SCT programmer. and exhaust if not aftermarket then straight piped stock. im getting around 15.5 intown and around 17-18 on the highway.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:54 AM

Standard cab, 2007, F250, 6.0, automatic, 2WD, stock no mods to engine or transmission, 16.9 city & 25+ highway not flatland AZ, hand calculated.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

it is a 4x4 no lift stock tires and gears. as far as i no everything is stock except for the 5" MBRP exaust and Zoodad mod. a friend down the street from me has just about the same truck and is getting 24-26 mpg highway and 18-20 in town and we cant figure out how he is getting that and im getting 13-14 in town.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper40 View Post
it is a 4x4 no lift stock tires and gears. as far as i no everything is stock except for the 5" MBRP exaust and Zoodad mod. a friend down the street from me has just about the same truck and is getting 24-26 mpg highway and 18-20 in town and we cant figure out how he is getting that and im getting 13-14 in town.
I'd love to know how he is getting that too. Your mileage seems typical to me.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper40 View Post
Some people just get a sweet one. Talked to guy who was thinking about trading his 6.0 F250 (he's a logger and is ruining the interior of his Lariat) for something he wouldn't mind beating on. He was getting around 20-22mpg bone stock. I told him not to trade, he won't be able to find another Ford or Chevy that gets the same mileage.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I'd love to know how he is getting that too. Your mileage seems typical to me.

I think a lot of people use that one time they came down the mountain with a 50mph tail wind as their average. I've gotten as high as 17mpg hwy and as low as 12.5mpg. Wind, terrain, air temps, tires, tire pressure, speed...all impact fuel economy.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:26 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you win some you lose some. stock the highest i got one time was 18.5 but usually about 16. how it sits currently hwy is 17.5-18.5 and around town is pretty much always 16. Custom tunes help alot.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonsworld View Post
I think a lot of people use that one time they came down the mountain with a 50mph tail wind as their average. I've gotten as high as 17mpg hwy and as low as 12.5mpg. Wind, terrain, air temps, tires, tire pressure, speed...all impact fuel economy.
yea I agree! I would like to see someone claiming that type of mileage to use something like Fuelly and run it for a few thousand miles every time they fill up and let's see what we are really taking about. I call BS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.