Ball joint confusion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 06:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ball joint confusion

I just found out that I need my ball joints replaced. I guess it's not too bad because I'm just about at 60k. My question is this. Which ball joints do I go with???? I've heard a lot of people here talking about the MOOG greasable ball joints but I've talked a couple of shops (who I consider very reputable) and they recommend the Dynatrac Pro Steer ball joints. Problem is the Dynatrac kit is $600!!! I haven't found the specific MOOG ball joints that I need but I know that they're much cheaper. Is it because the Dynatrac one is a kit?

Any help or recommendations would be very helpful. I'm in the military so I have to be a bit of a tight wad with what little money I do have. Also, I do have the 100K Ford Easy Care extended warranty. Would the ball joints be covered on that? I bought the truck new with the lift and larger tires so I assume the warrenty should not be affected by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure on your warranty, but I have run moog in every vehicle I have worked on (family owns a car shop) with no problems to date. No way in hell would I spend $600 on ball joints. For 1/4 that I can keep moogs in my truck until its run into the ground lol
Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Moog will run you well under 200 bucks at jobber pricing.

Unless you beat the hell out of your joints off road day in, day out, go with moog.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:09 AM

That's what I was thinking. I couldn't see spending that much on ball joints.

Kylev90, I see that you're in OH. I just moved here in June (Vienna, OH near Warren) and have been looking for a really reputable diesel shop. Out in SoCal, I went to OC diesel (those guys are great!). Are there any good places around here that you consider to be good and honest.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

Well I went to NAPA and bought there brand. They were cheaper and quality wise they looked to be on point. Also they were greaseable too, might want to check them out...
Old 11-02-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder1 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I couldn't see spending that much on ball joints.

Kylev90, I see that you're in OH. I just moved here in June (Vienna, OH near Warren) and have been looking for a really reputable diesel shop. Out in SoCal, I went to OC diesel (those guys are great!). Are there any good places around here that you consider to be good and honest.
For smaller stuff I typically can handle it myself, but need be she goes to Joe at dependable diesel. Hes in akron right down the road from the goodyear blimp hanger. His wife is a bit of a hassle to deal with lol but joe is a great guy. Anything bigger that would need done (motor work, tranny, etc.) I would definitly head down south and see carl at Redline. Its a little bit of a haul but I cant imagine you could possibly find a better shop. Good luck man. Get with me if you ever need any help with something. Warren is not far from me at all
Old 11-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdwg View Post
Well I went to NAPA and bought there brand. They were cheaper and quality wise they looked to be on point. Also they were greaseable too, might want to check them out...
Thats where I always get mine and everythings been fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.