Before I buy a 6.0 have some questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Before I buy a 6.0 have some questions?

So its now time for the new Diesel. Im a Chevy man but like what Ford has to offer. I really like the 06/07 F250 and just want to make sure that I dont purchased a truck thats not going to be worst then my 05 Dmax. I want a relialbe truck, looking to just level it out and run 33's and tow 11 to 13k pounds.

EGR,,, how much money will it cost to replace or upgrade to fix the issues, and/or is it something i can do myself?

Tuner,,, I want a reliable truck that will be a daily driver and tow, no racing and would like to get good gas milage. Is Banks power a good one?

Last what are somethings that are a must for me to do or to look into, like small fixes or the common issues with these truck. Thanks to be honest the 6.0 scares me a little and jumping for a DMAX to a Powerstroke is a big difference IMO. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Since you are shopping. Get something like the Scangauge II to take along with you. Check every truck you test drive the ECT & EOT. You can find a lot about the health of the oil cooler and coolant system. Then you will have gauges for the truck you end up with. Since you will be towing, gauges are highly recommended.

Here is a link to links of info for 6.0L's

new guy need some help please! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

As far as doing the EGR system, that's up to you. Your comfort level might be different than others when it comes to tinkering with your motor. If you delete the system, you will want to look into tuning by SCT. You can get a tune to deal with the EGR system after the delete is done. And while you are in there, you might want to think about the Oil cooler rebuild. (that's where you ECT & EOT temps will help)

Here is a link with pictures of the complete EGR and oil cooler job:

http://newyorkmustangs.com/forums/ro...750#post244750

Have fun shopping!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:00 AM

amdriven2liv thanks,,, thats a ton of info between the 2 links. Thank you again.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDiezel View Post
So its now time for the new Diesel. Im a Chevy man but like what Ford has to offer. I really like the 06/07 F250 and just want to make sure that I dont purchased a truck thats not going to be worst then my 05 Dmax. I want a relialbe truck, looking to just level it out and run 33's and tow 11 to 13k pounds.

EGR,,, how much money will it cost to replace or upgrade to fix the issues, and/or is it something i can do myself? Depending on which state you live in and the smog restrictions, deleting the EGR system is one of the best things for the 6.0. If not the bulletproof EGR cooler is the way to go if you dont want to totally delete the system. You can do it yourself if you have some simple mechanical skills but it will take a little time and saves alot of money. One of the cheaper and well liked kits is the Sinister EGR delete.

Tuner,,, I want a reliable truck that will be a daily driver and tow, no racing and would like to get good gas milage. Is Banks power a good one? The best tuner for these trucks is the SCT with custom tunes. They not only program the engine but the tranny as well. There are a few well known tune writers on this forum. I like and run gearhead tunes SRL. You can tell them what you are after and they will set you up with the right tune for your set up.

Last what are somethings that are a must for me to do or to look into, like small fixes or the common issues with these truck. Thanks to be honest the 6.0 scares me a little and jumping for a DMAX to a Powerstroke is a big difference IMO. Thanks again.
The most common things are EGR delete, ARP studs/black onyx gaskets, coolant filter, oil bypass filter, and SCT tuner. There are other smaller upgrades like the updated fuel pressure regulator kit, MANDATORY STC fitting update, and the updated turbo drain tube. Always get a OASIS report on the truck you are looking at to the the repair history. If it has a list going then move on to prevent future headaches. I think you are looking at the right years though. I would try to get the latest build 07 you can find. They had most of the updates by then.
All responses are notated in red.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM

armguy209 thanks for the input and Beautifull truck.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 07 6.0L has the lowest warranty claims than any Ford Diesel excluding the new 011 Scorpion 6.7L

That's including the 7.3L. the 07 is very reliable and does not blow up like the 6.4L if it gets a little dirty fuel

Put a coolant filter and an edge insight to monitor the difference between EOT and ECT and you should be fine

BTW, sent you a PM
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty123 View Post
The 07 6.0L has the lowest warranty claims than any Ford Diesel excluding the new 011 Scorpion 6.7LThat's including the 7.3L. the 07 is very reliable and does not blow up like the 6.4L if it gets a little dirty fuel

Put a coolant filter and an edge insight to monitor the difference between EOT and ECT and you should be fine

BTW, sent you a PM
I just read that it was the 06?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The links in my signature should help as well.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I just read that it was the 06?
The 06/07 years were the best as far as claims because they had most of the updates done to them by these years. However, ALL years of 6.0 can still suffer the blown headgaskets due to the insufficient TTY bolts they use to hold the heads down. They also ALL have the EGR system which is a huge factor relating to blown headgaskets. Once you fix these two main issues that should fix 90% of the problems with these trucks given that they have all the newest updates Ford has issued such as the STC fitting being one of the most important ones as it can leave you stranded if and when it fails(05-07 models only).

Good luck on your purchase...and if you have any questions PGreen is extremely knowledgeable on these trucks...way more than I am..I have learned TONSSSSSSS about these 6.0's just from reading on here and other forums. Knowledge is power...haha

Thanks for the compliments FordDiezel
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy209 View Post
The 06/07 years were the best as far as claims because they had most of the updates done to them by these years. However, ALL years of 6.0 can still suffer the blown headgaskets due to the insufficient TTY bolts they use to hold the heads down. They also ALL have the EGR system which is a huge factor relating to blown headgaskets. Once you fix these two main issues that should fix 90% of the problems with these trucks given that they have all the newest updates Ford has issued such as the STC fitting being one of the most important ones as it can leave you stranded if and when it fails(05-07 models only).

Good luck on your purchase...and if you have any questions PGreen is extremely knowledgeable on these trucks...way more than I am..I have learned TONSSSSSSS about these 6.0's just from reading on here and other forums. Knowledge is power...haha

Thanks for the compliments FordDiezel
What is STC fitting?

Once you fix these two main issues that should fix 90% of the problems with these trucks given that they have all the newest updates Ford has issued such as the STC fitting being one of the most important ones as it can leave you stranded if and when it fails(05-07 models only).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.