Ticking turned to LOUD knocking ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 04:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ticking turned to LOUD knocking ?

I posted a forum on here yesturday about the ticking i have & wondered if it could be a lifter ?

It was noticable @ a idle and when u let off the gas.

Now i drove it about 120 mi today and it got way louder (alott) real loud at idle & when u let off the gas but gets a little quiter when u give it gas.

does not do it when u first start it (takes about 5 min)

I put a hose to my ear & sounds like its under the intake on ( BOTH ) sides ???

like i said i change oil & fuel filters every 4000 mi and always run mobil 1 synthetic.

Only thing i done diff was i changes and flushed my antifreez couple weeks ago.
(ran the zerox diesel antifreeze)

and last week i ran out of two stroke oil (for my fuel) and bought some of the dieselkleen and ran it for a week, thats when the knocking started. i dont think that had anything to do with it ?

to the guys that helped before thanks for your time & help & any new suggestions would be appreciated.

05 f-350 6.0 crew cab long bed
straight pipe
afe
superchips:

Last edited by 55gasser; 10-31-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Lt. Negativity

If your brave enough pull your valve covers off and check your push rods. Might have a bent pushrod.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:06 PM

Not brave enough....lol

i know on a gas motor i would pull the pushrods out & roll them across a smooth surface (such as a table or counter top)

i dont know if diesel is the same ? what would i toghten the rocker back down to ? are they hydrolick ?

i really wouldnt think that a pushrod would get louder the more u drove it.

this thing runs perfect, no miss & still gets 18 mpg. i just know you can hear it all the way across the parking lot while its at adle.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like a spun rod bearing to me. It's quieter when you start it because the oil is cold and thicker. As the oil warms up and gets thinner the knocking gets louder. Quit driving it while there is a chance of saving the crankshaft. hook an oil pressure gauge to it. If it's a spun bearing your oil pressure will be low. Again it will start out higher with cold oil and drop as the oil warms and gets thinner. If you can find someone with AE or something like that you can shut the fuel injectors down one at a time to find out which cylinder it is.

Sorry man.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
yup,hydro acuated lifters,no valve lash to worry bout.....if thats what you thinkin.....and i gotta ride with ya this one,spun rod bearing sounds like....sux man...but pullin those valve covers aint chit to it....get all the brackets off,move the intake,just start movin stuff and i beleive those valve cover nuts are 12mm or 1/2 inch,somthin like that,and to remove the pushrods you gotta remove the 2 10mm bolt,and the headbolt and lift the assembly out,but thats if your going down to the heads,screw that,remove the 2 10mm bolts,(leave the headstud) and you will see a lil plastic peice on the side of the rocker,remove that and be dam carefull cuz ther is a ball bearing in there,remove the rocker and pull the push rod....wah lah!!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Lt. Negativity

You love giving bad news dont you lol
Old 10-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
You love giving bad news dont you lol
IF that was directed to me Kevin the answer is he asked for advise and I tell it like I see it? If it's good it's good. If it's bad it's bad. Nothing I can do about either one. I am 99% on my diagnosis.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:21 AM

thanks guys, bad or good advise is advise...lol

i kinda thought that but the noise is up high not down by the pan, but you know how noise travels.
and my oil preasure has not dropped like it was a bearing ?

Last edited by 55gasser; 11-01-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not trying to be harsh but it sounds like your at the cross roads. Drive it till it flys all apart and then look for a whole new (junk yard) motor or start tearing it apart now to find the problem and take a chance of it being simple and save your current motor. Don't let looking under the hood scare you. Once you start pulling pieces off you will see it is all actualy very simple to pull apart. Like a puzzle and they make some really great books (with pictures) that will help you pull your motor apart.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have an oil pressure gauge. Not that useless thing in the dash but a real gauge that reads in psi. The dash gauge is a fancy idiot light and nothing more. There is no oil pressure sender on the 6.0. There is a pressure switch that detects the presence of oil pressure. It is set to 7psi. As long as it sees at least 7psi your dash gauge will read normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.