2004 6.0 250 white smoke now no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 6.0 250 white smoke now no start

What's up guys?

Can't figure it out.

A few weeks ago, is when I first notcied - could have been doing it longer, the truck started blowing white smoke from the tailpipe. It was actually more like steam than smoke. A few days prior to that I noticed that the coolant resevoir was about a gallow low, yes a gallon.

Thought to look at the coolant because about a mile or so from home one day, around that time, the engine started over reving when giving it gas(diesel) and lacking power, the engine temp guage was reading hot. Filled it with coolant, seemed fine. The following weeks I started to notice a faint whistling sound but couldn't pinpoint what it was, I thought it might be the vents inside. I also started to notice that white smoke was coming out of the tailpipe, usually when I was accelerating, it actually looked more like steam than smoke. This went on for a few days and it didn't seem to be losing much coolant, maybe just a little.

(I thought the little I was losing was from a small leak I had for a number of years, but only in the winter when it was real cold and it never seemed to affect anything else. I would just add a little each winter.)

I did notice that I had to turn my key on and off a few times to get the glow plugs warm enough, or so I thought, to start the truck right around the same time all of this other stuff was going on. A few days ago when I was accelerating from a stop, I totally lost almost all power, even when I pushed the pedal, I got nothing but it didn't stall. On the way home I noticed that when I accellerated it would blow a ton of nasty smoke. Yesterday, which was the very next time I ran the truck since the last episode, the truck started fine and ran fine with no smoke, I made it two miles and when accelerating from a stop sign I totally had the sputtering power lag(best description) along with the white smoke. I turned around and sputtered on and off for two miles until I got home. I turned the truck off and went to start it this morning.....When I turn the key, the guages on the dash turn all the way to the pins and then return to normal, never saw that before. It'll crank over maybe two or three times and then start clicking then nothing. The interior lights flicker as well.
About all I'v been able to do is check the batteries and they seem fine but with everything else that has gone on and from what I've been reading someone I'm sure has had the same issues.

Before I take it to Ford and get crushed with repair bills, I need to know if I should try to at least get it started to avoid a flatbed charge or if it's something major.

Any help would be appreciated. Our family only has one vehicle and unfortunately it's the truck.

I am a bit mechanically inclined and have worked on alot of enigines but never a late model diesel.

Thanks,
Dorian
fat2na@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Lt. Negativity

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1. Pull your EGR Valve out and see if its wet with coolant.
2. Do you still have an EGR cooler ?
3. If so your EGR cooler could be failing.
4. Whistle noise your hearing could be the Degas bottle cap.
5. Start with those and see what you find, if you get a chance get an EGR delete and remove the cooler could solve your issue. You can do it in your driveway no problem just give yourself time and patience.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your oil cooler is clooged up and your egr cooler is ruptured. You've pushed it far enough I wouldn't be at all surprised if your head gaskets are blown too. Hope you haven't warped the heads driving it like this. TOW it to whoever is going to work on it and start looking for a loan. This one's going to cost you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.