smoke from hood???-help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
smoke from hood???-help

Ok when i have the sct on performance (canned tune) and i get on it smoke comes out from under the hood just on the driver side tho and i can see the soot build up on my egt probe wire i got under the truck to see what i could of the manifolds and cant see soot down there it starts a little ways up the the prob wire i have had people tell me they think my y pipe is leaking or cracked they dident think it was my manifold beacause it dosent seem to be low on power and they thought it would be if it were the manifold can someone maybe give me another answer or confirm its the y pipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke 825 View Post
Ok when i have the sct on performance (canned tune) and i get on it smoke comes out from under the hood just on the driver side tho and i can see the soot build up on my egt probe wire i got under the truck to see what i could of the manifolds and cant see soot down there it starts a little ways up the the prob wire i have had people tell me they think my y pipe is leaking or cracked they dident think it was my manifold beacause it dosent seem to be low on power and they thought it would be if it were the manifold can someone maybe give me another answer or confirm its the y pipe
It's more than likely the flex joint on the "y" pipe. I have seen a couple manifolds leaking and Ford does have manifold gaskets for them now. They are built without manifold gaskets.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:35 PM

will check into it ig i will just take it to a local exhaust shop anyone else have another opinion
Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 AM

You have a leak in your up pipe or y pipe. And on the manifolds, I got under my truck to do my EGR delete and noticed my exhaust manifolds on both sides had finger loose bolts in them.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke 825 View Post
I might be able to help if I could follow what you're asking without making my eyes and head hurt

I think I found one capital letter.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I might be able to help if I could follow what you're asking without making my eyes and head hurt

I think I found one capital letter.
im sure the op appreciates this insightful information u have graciously added to the post.

to the op, u def have a cracked/loose y pipe and or loose exhaust manifold.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:23 AM

No insight needed. Its glaringly obvious. I'd bet my house that I'm not the only person who had trouble reading that. After seeing your post, it also obvious why you had no trouble interpreting.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
No insight needed. Its glaringly obvious. I'd bet my house that I'm not the only person who had trouble reading that. After seeing your post, it's also obvious why you had no trouble interpreting.
You're not perfect either. I understood the post perfectly clear and i'm a very smart guy and use "big" words in everyday converation. I sometimes don't type things out perfectly either, when i'm in a rush i leave lots of things out to make up time. Maybe he was busy at the time of the post. Whatever the case. I think it would have been better to return to the previous page instead of post a comment.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
No insight needed. Its(you forgot your apostrophe here) glaringly obvious. I'd bet my house that I'm not the only person who had trouble reading that. After seeing your post, it(you also forgot your apostrophe and the s here) also obvious why you had no trouble interpreting.
keeping this on topic, you should start the truck and have a friend rev it and see if you can pinpoint the exact location of the smoke.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSTROKIN' View Post
You're not perfect either. I understood the post perfectly clear and i'm a very smart guy and use "big" words in everyday converation. I sometimes don't type things out perfectly either, when i'm in a rush i leave lots of things out to make up time. Maybe he was busy at the time of the post. Whatever the case. I think it would have been better to return to the previous page instead of post a comment.
I never said I was, and I know I don't type things perfectly. And I'm probably not as smart as you or a lot of other people on this board. Most of the words I use have less than 3 syllables. But there are a lot of people who won't take the time to finish reading his post due to the lack of clarity (capitalization and punctuation). And he may not get the assistance or advice he's seeking. Not this time, and possibly not the next time he has a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstokes1987 View Post
keeping this on topic, you should start the truck and have a friend rev it and see if you can pinpoint the exact location of the smoke.

Definitely the way to go.

Last edited by Snake; 11-01-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.