WOOO-HOOOO picked up my truck last night! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 04:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WOOO-HOOOO picked up my truck last night!

I just bought an '04 F-250 XLT supercab FX4, 8' bed 4X4 in bright red. It has the 6.0 Powerstroke with Torqshift auto. The truck has 133K miles on it, and literally pulls like a freight train. This truck hauls ***!

The prior owner passed away two months ago, so his widow put the truck up for sale. The truck was used in construction, but remarkably clean. Unfortunately, the prior owner hit a BEAR with it damaging the nose, he also scuffed in the RS rear quarter next to the tail light. I paid $12,000. for the truck, I figure the body work at $2500, (much less because I'm doing it myself) then 6.0 reliability mods such as EGR delete, (sinister kit) new oil cooler, AFE cat delete pipe, a complete cooling system flush with restore, a dieselsite coolant filter and finally a refill with Rotella Non-silicate ELC, and of course, an oil change and Motorcaft filter change, fuel, air, oil. Any other suggestions? I don't believe the HPOP fitting is a problem on my year truck, From my understanding 2005+?

Depending on the body repairs I should be into the truck for $15-$16K.
Did I do OK?

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Congrads on your new truck!!!! It sounds like you've been doing your homework with the mods you listed. You are correct about the '05 with the STC fitting, but the, '04 have there set of issues also. Your gonna need to see if you got an early '04 or late '04 model.

As far as the price you paid for the truck, this will depend of where you live and the demand of diesel trucks in your area.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:57 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
You did fine! You know what needs done so no blind corners!

I live in Pittsburgh PA. To get a diesel truck, you either need to buy it new or pay way too much. That truck would be worth about 19 here.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 AM

like he said, depends where you live as far as pricing, but for around here, orlando, fl, seems like u did pretty good. i just bought mine from virginia for 21,800..specs are in sig..i think u did good
Old 10-30-2010, 08:10 AM

My guess is the truck is an early '04, it was built in 10/03. So far, the engine coolant is oil free, turbo works good, tranny shifts perfect. The only minor issue I see is oily residue around the intercooler couplers. I think there are upgraded couplers. My friend who is the lead diesel tech at our local Ford shop said it was no big deal, the truck doesn't smoke at all.

John
Old 10-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAJOHN View Post
My guess is the truck is an early '04, it was built in 10/03. So far, the engine coolant is oil free, turbo works good, tranny shifts perfect. The only minor issue I see is oily residue around the intercooler couplers. I think there are upgraded couplers. My friend who is the lead diesel tech at our local Ford shop said it was no big deal, the truck doesn't smoke at all.

John
Stock or modified your gonna want to get gauges to monitor Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) and Engine Oil Temp (EOT).

The oily residue on the IC boots is from the CrankCase Ventalation (CCV). On the driver side valve cover, where the air filter tube goes over the valve cover on it"s way to the turbo, you will find the CCV. The CCV vents oily gases back into the motor thru the air cleaner tube and thru the turbo and IC. These oily gases builds up oil on the inside of the IC system to the point that oil will puddles up on the inside. This oil will soak into the IC rubber boots and deteriate the boot causing them to rip or blow a hole in them when boost psi is pushed thru the system. You can do a search on hear to do a CCV mod, some guys vent the CCV to the atmostphere or you can buy a canister style filter. It's good to go with an aftermarket boots that won't let the oil soak in, The stock ones will eventually blow at the worst time.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:43 AM

Would a catch can work on the PCV vent? Is there a preferred aftermarket coupler to use on those IC tubes?

BTW, thanks for the info. John
Old 10-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAJOHN View Post
Would a catch can work on the PCV vent? Is there a preferred aftermarket coupler to use on those IC tubes?

BTW, thanks for the info. John
Here's a post on the CCV mod. read it and also click on the links inside of the post for more info. CCV Mod for 6.0L

I got my boots from ITP, which is now Sinister Diesel, they are one of our vendors on this site.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 AM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Sounds like your on the right track as far as reliability mods go!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

while you're in there, do the STC fitting. It's not going to take you much longer. The intake and turbo have to come off for the EGR delete and the STC kit if only 50 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.