I NEED HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I NEED HELP!!

I have a 2005 F-350 SD w/6.0L. I am beginning to see that this was not a good year to buy a diesel.
Problems started with a burnt pastic smell.
coolant recovery reservoir cracked but understand I can fix that with epoxy. Knew I was loosing coolant but didnt see any on ground then discovered cracked recovery reservoir and figured it was burning before it hit the ground.
Responses to questions range from no oil to aliens living in engine block.
Someone suggested coolant is leaking into oil. How and what causes this?
How does blocking EGR work and should I do it and if so, how?
What is the STC fitting and does it play a part in anything?
What part do the oil rail plugs play?
Im a decent shade tree mechanic and think I can handle most repairs if they are not monstrous. Have repair manuals but they are limited in their detail.
I understand the answers to these questions could be lengthy but i would really appreciate any help anyone could give. I would be willing to give phone number to talk more about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to troid123
I would try using the "search" fuction, it is your friend. You will find answers to each and every one of your questions.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There is nothing wrong with the 05. Have you ever changed the oil in this truck? Take the oil filter cap off and see if you still have a standpipe in the middle of the filter. If that is melted down start saving for a new engine.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by troid123 View Post
I would try using the "search" fuction, it is your friend. You will find answers to each and every one of your questions.
Thanks for the info, I will try that.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
There is nothing wrong with the 05. Have you ever changed the oil in this truck? Take the oil filter cap off and see if you still have a standpipe in the middle of the filter. If that is melted down start saving for a new engine.
I am religious about changing the oil. Every 4000 to 5000 miles. what would cause the standpipe to melt down?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Clogged oil cooler, not enough coolant, continuing to drive it that way. I have seen a couple posts where people have done that in the last month or so. First thing I thought of when you said it smelled like plastic melting and your degass bottle is cracked and empty.

How religious are you about monitoring your coolant temp and oil temp?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Clogged oil cooler, not enough coolant, continuing to drive it that way. I have seen a couple posts where people have done that in the last month or so. First thing I thought of when you said it smelled like plastic melting and your degass bottle is cracked and empty.

How religious are you about monitoring your coolant temp and oil temp?
Very aware since I started noticing the problem. I know where the engine temp gauge is but dont have a oil temp gauge, just pressure. How do I monitor the oil temp?
I pulled the oil filter cover off and the plastic stem in the middle with the spring around it is still there and it doesnt look charred or melted in anyway, im hoping I have caught the problem early enough?
I am trying to remove the EGR valve but it isnt coming out easily and I dont want to force it. I removed the 2 screws & unplugged it but it isnt easily coming out. Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

You need to get yourself an Edge Insight so you can monitor what goes on with your truck.

The dash gauges are useless. there is no oil pressure sensor on the 6.0. There is a pressure switch the kick the dash gauge to normal if it see at least 7 psi. Useless. The engine temp gauge in the dash is useless too. You need to know numbers. I suspect your oil cooler and egr cooler are blown. Go read the post in my signature. It'll help you to understand better.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
You need to get yourself an Edge Insight so you can monitor what goes on with your truck.

The dash gauges are useless. there is no oil pressure sensor on the 6.0. There is a pressure switch the kick the dash gauge to normal if it see at least 7 psi. Useless. The engine temp gauge in the dash is useless too. You need to know numbers. I suspect your oil cooler and egr cooler are blown. Go read the post in my signature. It'll help you to understand better.
Ok, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Definitely sounds like your EGR cooler is gone. I wouldn't drive it until it is fixed, you are going to cause damage. Coolant leaking on a 6.0L is a BIG sign that the EGR cooler is gone, likely caused by your oil cooler clogging, which was likely caused by silicates and sand from your coolant. If you continue to drive, you could blow your head gaskets or cause further damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.