Advice needed on the head gaskets for my 06 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice needed on the head gaskets for my 06

I decided to run the vin# of the 04 F-350 6.0 I just purchased at my dealer. The report came back showing 4 visits to the original dealer over its 80,000 miles. Simple little things, nothing major. I asked them about the head gasket issue and if chances were good or bad that I might have it. They said to keep an eye on the coolant tank for white residue. I told them that there was some on mine and I had wiped it off only to find it again the next time I popped open the hood. At that point I felt a chill go up and down my spine when they said it was a 24+ hour job to repair. Not to worry he said, I still have 16,000 miles left of warranty and we setup a time Monday to take her in.

Here's where I need your advice; While they are in there is there anything else I should have them address even if it's at my cost?
I've read where some say to get these super Head bolts. I asked the dealer about that and they said the new kit they install has improved bolts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 07:45 AM
im fat and ugly

apr head "studs" is what you need to have put it
Old 06-19-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump0331 View Post
apr head "studs" is what you need to have put it
How do they differ from the one's ford would use?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:02 AM
im fat and ugly

i dont know the specs on them but i ,do know they are less likely to stretch than stock ones,

and the white stuff on the tank doesnt garuntee headstud issues either , it could be a mis diagnosis
Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump0331 View Post

and the white stuff on the tank doesnt garuntee headstud issues either , it could be a mis diagnosis
I understand but hope it is coolant. Like I said, I wiped it off and it re-appeared. Looks just like water spots if you don't dry off your rig.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 AM
im fat and ugly

oh i know all about it, its all over my engine compartment, all over my hood, batteries, everywhere and still runs like an ox
Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 AM

It could be just the engine cooler plugged up.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Get APR head studs and make them install them. I had 7K worth of work including new heads/gaskets/and "Improved bolts". It did no good at all. I finally got rid of my 6.0 and got a 7.3.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:57 AM
one day at a time

Yeah, for less than $500 out of your pocket you can't NOT have them install the studs! A stud works much differently than a bolt, its threaded at both ends. One screws in to the block hand tight and the other takes a nut on the top end. Clamping pressure is MUCH greater than with using the factory bolts. If they do the job, you buy them and give them to the diesel tech working on your truck. It should make no difference to him labor wise installing either.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan"gerous" View Post
I decided to run the vin# of the 04 F-350 6.0 I just purchased at my dealer. The report came back showing 4 visits to the original dealer over its 80,000 miles. Simple little things, nothing major. I asked them about the head gasket issue and if chances were good or bad that I might have it. They said to keep an eye on the coolant tank for white residue. I told them that there was some on mine and I had wiped it off only to find it again the next time I popped open the hood. At that point I felt a chill go up and down my spine when they said it was a 24+ hour job to repair. Not to worry he said, I still have 16,000 miles left of warranty and we setup a time Monday to take her in.

Here's where I need your advice; While they are in there is there anything else I should have them address even if it's at my cost?
I've read where some say to get these super Head bolts. I asked the dealer about that and they said the new kit they install has improved bolts.

I guess I see the glass half empty, but thats my view of the 6.0L. If you got a good deal on the truck I would sell it, if you dont think you can get out for what you paid for it, then get it fixed and sell it before the warranty is out. I may sound like debbie downer but realisticly Im scared to keep my truck outside of warranty. But maybe thats cuz I work with ford on a daily basis and they recogonise this engine is a POS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.