Going from a 6.4 back to a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going from a 6.4 back to a 6.0

Okay guys I am sure I will get grilled for this but I am seriously considering going back to a 6.0. I am over dealing with all of this delete crap. Take it off.....put it back on. I had an 06 6.0 with no problems.I am looking for a 07 with the thought that most of the bugs should have been worked out. What are your thoughts? 6.4 is a good motor, but like I said I am over dealing with the delete. What are my tuning options with the 6.0?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

You will regret the power loss once you go back to a 6.0.......

but all 6.0's are hit and miss across all the years.... it would be best to do an oasis report for any truck you look at.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

What kind of power can I gain if I tune it?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
you can be at about 400hp with just a tune/exhaust!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalman14 View Post
but all 6.0's are hit and miss across all the years....
I don't really agree w/ this.

The 06's and 07's are proving to be very reliable. Yes you can have problems if someone did not take care of them or if it was just manufactured poorly on that given day ..... but in general these years are pretty darn reliable.

I do agree w/ getting the OASIS report.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Trade you
Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I don't really agree w/ this.

The 06's and 07's are proving to be very reliable. Yes you can have problems if someone did not take care of them or if it was just manufactured poorly on that given day ..... but in general these years are pretty darn reliable.

I do agree w/ getting the OASIS report.
The Ford Gold coolant clogs the oil coolers on any 6.0, any year, leading to blown oil coolers and head gaskets and such. You can do just as many deletes on the 6.0 as the 6.4 but at least we don't have the rotten DPF and the regen dumping fuel into the oil pan.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

I plan on being pretty picky if I do end up trading down. Like I said my biggest issue is that #@$%#@@ DPF. It seems like FORD wants to nail you if you don't have your truck serviced at a dealership and have any engine problems. Switching out that DPF everytime you have your truck serviced and maybe additional times if you have warranty issue is out of the question for me. I got pretty good with it on my 08 and could do it all in about 45 minutes, but it is just the aggravation of it. I know the 6.0 doesn't have the best record for durability, but I would think that by the end of the production of these motors that they had addressed the major issues. I am open for any imput pro or con, so please throw it out there.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
The Ford Gold coolant clogs the oil coolers on any 6.0, any year, leading to blown oil coolers and head gaskets and such. You can do just as many deletes on the 6.0 as the 6.4 but at least we don't have the rotten DPF and the regen dumping fuel into the oil pan.
Or ..... the Ford Gold may NOT clog any year 6.0L oil cooler. It is still an unsolved mystery. I am on Ford Gold and at 77k - not plugged yet. I do watch it closely though!

There are numerous folks posting up 180k miles + w/ nothing BUT the Ford Gold coolant and no plugging yet. The ones I know do have a filter and they do flush the coolant routinely though (as do I).

I do not disagree that the Ford Gold might present some downsides, but the evidence clearly points to other things contributing - as well as the silicates in the Ford Gold coolant.

Last edited by bismic; 10-29-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Or ..... the Ford Gold may NOT clog any year 6.0L oil cooler. It is still an unsolved mystery. I am on Ford Gold and at 77k - not plugged yet. I do watch it closely though!

There are numerous folks posting up 180k miles + w/ nothing BUT the Ford Gold coolant and no plugging yet. The ones I know do have a filter and they do flushe the coolant routinely though (as do I).

I do not disagree that the Ford Gold might present some downsides, but the evidence clearly points to other things contributing - as well as the silicates in the Ford Gold coolant.
thats the key right there, but how many actually do it? also dont forget ford said the gold crap was good for 100k with no maintenance, we know thats a big pile of doo doo now.

so for all the money you spend on routine flush and fill of the crap ford coolant you could switch to an elc and be done with it for the life of the truck. international uses and recommends elc, that to me speaks volumes about the gold coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.