Looking at a 2004 F350 4WD 4-door 6.0 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at a 2004 F350 4WD 4-door 6.0 PSD

Been lurking here for awhile doing research and finally have a question (or two).

A used car dealer down the street from me just got a pair of 2004 F350 6.0 PSD's on their lot. One has an 8' bed and other is a Lariat with a 6' bed.
The one I am interested in is the 6' Lariat.

Cars for Sale: 2004 Ford F350 Lariat in Annapolis, MD 21401: Truck Details - 286833748 - AutoTrader.com

The truck only has 59k miles on it, but there are several issues that concern me.
First of all is the 6.0 PSD, though the CarFax doesn't show any unusual repairs, so I'm hopeful... Friends tell me the 6.0 is the least desirable of the PSD's.
The history shows it as a private sale that was later sold and leased, then sold to an auction. Nothing truly disturbing there, and truck doesn't look beat. Just normal wear.

The bed liner does have a hole in the center of the bed which I am guessing was a frame mounted 5th wheel ball, since removed.
Another oddity is the fact that the Class 4 or 5 hitch that it came with has been removed.

I have not driven the truck yet, but plan to soon. Right now I'm just researching what this thing might be worth because what the dealer is asking is way high IMHO.

My plans for this truck would be to move boats part-time as my retirement job. My own boat goes 8,000#'s without trailer, so I'd be using the truck to haul and launch mine in winter and spring. Winter storage would be on a trailer I don't even have yet. Need to make a few bucks first.

With a proper hitch (that I would have to supply), what should the tow rating be on this truck?

Opinions on this one, or should I keep looking?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega View Post
Been lurking here for awhile doing research and finally have a question (or two).

A used car dealer down the street from me just got a pair of 2004 F350 6.0 PSD's on their lot. One has an 8' bed and other is a Lariat with a 6' bed.
The one I am interested in is the 6' Lariat.

Cars for Sale: 2004 Ford F350 Lariat in Annapolis, MD 21401: Truck Details - 286833748 - AutoTrader.com

The truck only has 59k miles on it, but there are several issues that concern me.
First of all is the 6.0 PSD, though the CarFax doesn't show any unusual repairs, so I'm hopeful... Friends tell me the 6.0 is the least desirable of the PSD's.
The history shows it as a private sale that was later sold and leased, then sold to an auction. Nothing truly disturbing there, and truck doesn't look beat. Just normal wear.

The bed liner does have a hole in the center of the bed which I am guessing was a frame mounted 5th wheel ball, since removed.
Another oddity is the fact that the Class 4 or 5 hitch that it came with has been removed.

I have not driven the truck yet, but plan to soon. Right now I'm just researching what this thing might be worth because what the dealer is asking is way high IMHO.

My plans for this truck would be to move boats part-time as my retirement job. My own boat goes 8,000#'s without trailer, so I'd be using the truck to haul and launch mine in winter and spring. Winter storage would be on a trailer I don't even have yet. Need to make a few bucks first.

With a proper hitch (that I would have to supply), what should the tow rating be on this truck?

Opinions on this one, or should I keep looking?

Thanks in advance.
Good looking truck BUT a lot of money for an 04. If you go with it get an Oasis report that will tell you more than a carfax that is a must I got mine Jan of 09 with 17k on it for 28k with a list of 55k and the Oasis showed a turbo replaced but it was a Ford sales managers truck and driven in town most of the time. See if you can get a few years of warranty at that price then maybe
2 stroker
Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would never give the dealer what they are asking...
My thought is to point out the CarFax, the history of the 6.0, the hole in the bed, and the missing hitch, and negotiate from there.
Edmunds shows that truck being about 8k cheaper wholesale (probably what the dealer paid), so I'm thinking the dealer is asking full list.

I'm thinking $18.5 or $19k, and I'll repair the bed and put on a new class 5 hitch.
As for the drivetrain, it's always a gamble.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega View Post
I would never give the dealer what they are asking...
My thought is to point out the CarFax, the history of the 6.0, the hole in the bed, and the missing hitch, and negotiate from there.
Edmunds shows that truck being about 8k cheaper wholesale (probably what the dealer paid), so I'm thinking the dealer is asking full list.

I'm thinking $18.5 or $19k, and I'll repair the bed and put on a new class 5 hitch.
As for the drivetrain, it's always a gamble.
Now your talking
2 stroker
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just googled Oasis report and it looks like a Ford dealer only access thing.
Since the selling dealer is a used car dealer (Volvo), how can I get an Oasis report for this truck?

Edit:
VIN is: 1FTSW31P04ED32162

Last edited by Mega; 10-27-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Get the VIN and take it to a Ford dealer. The asking price is waaaaaay high IMO. Not sure if it's relevant, but when i bought my truck two years ago, it had just turned 60K miles, and I paid 18K........Off the lot. That's tax, title, license....everything. Truck had a clean carfax and a clean Oasis report, so I jumped all over it. Mine isn't a lariat, but an XLT with every option other than the back-up sensors that some trucks were equipped with.

If it were me, I would do just what you said you were going to do, and if the dealer doesn't want to entertain your offer, I would politely say "Thank You", and walk out.

Last edited by 0460; 10-27-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 AM

I picked up my 2004 XLT two years ago with 99k on it and I paid $16,900 for it at a small local dealer. I thought for sure it was an oil field truck based on the mileage and where I bought it and that I would run into issues but the body and interior were in amazing condition. Carfax showed two local owners. I had a small tranny issue a few months ago and I thought it was a goner but I took it to Aamco to have them check it out and they noticed a solenoid on the t-case was not working. They replaced it and gave it a flush and it's good as new. I am coming up on 130k and the only things I've replaced myself have been tires, brake pads, batteries and alternator. Pretty routine for a high mileage truck. Just to compare, at the same time a local Ford dealer was selling a 2006 Lariat with close to 60k on it and a standard transmission for $24,000. It was in pretty decent shape but nothinglike the 2004 I bought. I also got mine when diesel was off the chart and they couldn't give those trucks away. I was looking for a 2005-2007 model based on engine reliability but once I drove this one, I felt really good about it and I couldn't justify spending a lot more for a newer model. So far so good.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0460 View Post
Get the VIN and take it to a Ford dealer. The asking price is waaaaaay high IMO. Not sure if it's relevant, but when i bought my truck two years ago, I paid 18K........Off the lot. That's tax, title, license....everything. Truck had a clean carfax and a clean Oasis report, so I jumped all over it. Mine isn't a lariat, but an XLT with every option other than the back-up sensors that some trucks were equipped with.

If it were me, I would do just what you said you were going to do, and if the dealer doesn't want to entertain your offer, I would politely say "Thank You", and walk out.

Hmmmmm..... Maybe I should re-think my offer.
I emailed the dealer and asked for an Oasis report. We'll see what comes of it.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:00 PM

One thing to remember there are a sh!t ton of trucks on the market right now. If they will not work with you to where you feel more than comfortable than walk. As long as you are not in a huge rush you should be able to find a great truck for a great deal.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dealer called me back.
Said he had never heard of an Oasis report, but he would call a Ford dealer and try to get me one.
Told him I would not even consider the truck without one.

I'm not in a hurry. Just trying to get educated.
As a retiree, I don't have unlimited coin, so I'm looking for a deal.

Oh! I mentioned the hole in the bed and the missing hitch.
The dealer verified it had a 5th wheel ball that had been removed.
He also said it had a 'custom' draw hitch that was removed and put on his new truck.

We agreed the hole in the bed and the missing hitch were negotiable items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.