Stuck gas mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stuck gas mileage

I can't call it bad considering what I came from. What I have is a 2005 F350, CC Long bed, dually, 4x4, 6.0 and a 4.10 rear end. It gets 10 MPG, maybe 11 if I'm lucky. I can be pulling my 7000 lbs camper or running empty, it's 10 MPG by the trucks calculations and by my hand calculations. I can drive like an old man or like a mad man and it's the same thing, 10, maybe 11. I know it's a 1 ton, it long and big and a 4x4 but shouldn't I be getting something more than 10 mpg. I may have a turbo issue thats causing the wrench light to pop on when towing (I have another post on that issue ongoing). I bought the truck with 84K miles, it was supposed to have it's oil changed then but don't know what kind is in there. I replaced the fuel and transmission filters. Replaced the EGR valve too. Only thing left is the airfilter and ??? I'm wondering if I have an injector issue here.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Fred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Wow, that doesnt seem right to me. I am running an 04 dually, lifted on 36's, and i run the piss out of mine 50% of the time to keep the turbo healthy, and i get 11.5 on the overhead, and if i manually calculate anywhere from 11.8-12.6
Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartzworld View Post
I can't call it bad considering what I came from. What I have is a 2005 F350, CC Long bed, dually, 4x4, 6.0 and a 4.10 rear end. It gets 10 MPG, maybe 11 if I'm lucky. I can be pulling my 7000 lbs camper or running empty, it's 10 MPG by the trucks calculations and by my hand calculations. I can drive like an old man or like a mad man and it's the same thing, 10, maybe 11. I know it's a 1 ton, it long and big and a 4x4 but shouldn't I be getting something more than 10 mpg. I may have a turbo issue thats causing the wrench light to pop on when towing (I have another post on that issue ongoing). I bought the truck with 84K miles, it was supposed to have it's oil changed then but don't know what kind is in there. I replaced the fuel and transmission filters. Replaced the EGR valve too. Only thing left is the airfilter and ??? I'm wondering if I have an injector issue here.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Fred
To start with i would change the oil so you know what is in there and use only Ford filters. You can go to WalMart and get a Ford filter and MotorCraft oil 5 qts to a jug 3 will do it then you will know you have the right oil in it or go with a good Syn oil just need 15 quarts. If it was at a dealer they may have flashed it then you may need a tuner to improve your mileage, this may help
2 stroker
Old 10-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
Speed kill mpgs on these trucks. My first tip for calculating mpg. Fill the tank full. From the first click on my truck to the filler neck is between 6-10 gallons. Get a good base line to start with. Not getting a full take or incosistant fuel levels will get out thrown off numbers.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979 View Post
Speed kill mpgs on these trucks. My first tip for calculating mpg. Fill the tank full. From the first click on my truck to the filler neck is between 6-10 gallons. Get a good base line to start with. Not getting a full take or incosistant fuel levels will get out thrown off numbers.
I have to agree with this. Here is my recommendation, get a highway mpg, which is all that really matters. A city MPG is a useless measurement because it is variable in tons of different ways (how many stop lights you hit, how fast you take off, etc).

Go to a gas station by a highway, and fill up your tank ALL THE WAY UP to until you can see fuel in the filler tube (obviously without spilling). Just listen closely while filling and you will be able to hear it coming close to the top. After the first click it will definitely take a lot of fuel still.

Then, go hop on the highway and set your cruise to around 65mph, which should put you around 1900rpm I think. make sure there is no traffic. Drive for about 30-40 miles and then stop at the gas stn and fill up again to the same line. This number, empty, should be MUCH higher than 11mpg. Do it all manual calculations, not the stupid computer. If it is not much higher, then you've got a problem. When I did this, I got 19.3mpg.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
To start with i would change the oil so you know what is in there and use only Ford filters. You can go to WalMart and get a Ford filter and MotorCraft oil 5 qts to a jug 3 will do it then you will know you have the right oil in it or go with a good Syn oil just need 15 quarts. If it was at a dealer they may have flashed it then you may need a tuner to improve your mileage, this may help
YouTube - 6.0 PERFORMANCE UPGRADES - POWERSTROKE 03 04 05 06 07
2 stroker

i will agree with that vid EXCEPT, put the pyro BEFORE the turbo. not after it
Old 10-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
2 stroker
An oil change is on the list. I only use Motorcraft filters. Still have to figure out who's doing it and what weight to put in there. I've been running Diesel Clean in the tank and have been pondering using Rev-X in the oil before or after the change. I'm thinking an injector issue somewhere?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979 View Post
I've tired all kinds of speeds, 60 or 70, it gets 10, maybe 11. This truck is mostly for the highway, it's a beast in the city where we live.

So, when the filling up and it shuts off, keep pumping til it fills the neck? Thats a new one for me. My 38 gallon tank could actually be a 46 to 48 gallon tank?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuzzitude View Post
I have to agree with this. Here is my recommendation, get a highway mpg, which is all that really matters. A city MPG is a useless measurement because it is variable in tons of different ways (how many stop lights you hit, how fast you take off, etc).

Go to a gas station by a highway, and fill up your tank ALL THE WAY UP to until you can see fuel in the filler tube (obviously without spilling). Just listen closely while filling and you will be able to hear it coming close to the top. After the first click it will definitely take a lot of fuel still.

Then, go hop on the highway and set your cruise to around 65mph, which should put you around 1900rpm I think. make sure there is no traffic. Drive for about 30-40 miles and then stop at the gas stn and fill up again to the same line. This number, empty, should be MUCH higher than 11mpg. Do it all manual calculations, not the stupid computer. If it is not much higher, then you've got a problem. When I did this, I got 19.3mpg.
This is new to me, filling up the filler tube. I'll have to try it. My city mileage is the same too. Hand calculated, 10 to 11 mpg. We mostly use this truck for our travel trailer and it's all freeway driving.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartzworld View Post
This is new to me, filling up the filler tube. I'll have to try it. My city mileage is the same too. Hand calculated, 10 to 11 mpg. We mostly use this truck for our travel trailer and it's all freeway driving.
I do it everytime I go to the gas station now because like the poster above I found that my truck can take about 4-5 more gallons after the first click and it means less stops to the pump. It really depends on the gas station though, some stations click earlier, some later. That is why this is the only true way to determine gas mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.