Fuel Pump/Turbo Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump/Turbo Help

Hoping someone could help me. I have a 2006 Ford F350 6.0l dually with 55,500 miles with no upgrades but a turbo back exhuast. I noticed last week when starting my truck up in the morning in the garage that when waiting for the glow plugs to cycle that my fuel pump is humming really loud and will run like it is priming the fuel system for a good 30 to 45 seconds, maybe longer and just before shutting off it makes a gurgle noise. I have even cycled the key and got under the truck and put my hand on the fuel pump to confirm that it was the fuel pump itself. I don't remember it doing this before. My truck also feels like it is lacking power and when I floor the gas pedal it will tach out at 3600 RPM's but has no power and the speedometer barely moves. There is no white or black smoke coming out of the exhuast. Also a few months ago I had my truck in for warranty repairs and had them look at my exhaust system. When I turn the truck off (not all the time) it would sound like I had marbles in the exhaust system. They told me it was my catalytic converter and when they told me the price I just firgured it gave me an excuse to put on an aftermarket exhuast. Just last week I put on a 4 inch turbo back MBRP exhuast system. After it was installed the notice the same sound but even louder. Well this evening when inspecting my fuel pump again, I had the hood up and noticed that when I turned the truck off the marble noise I would hear in the exhaust sounded like it was coming from my turbo. Like the bearings are going bad.

Two questions, is my fuel pump on the outs or could it be something else causing it to make this noise and have no power? Second, is my turbo on the outs also, even though I have 27 to 28 pounds of boost? Again, when I floor the truck it has no power like it is being defueled.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Take the intake boot off of the turbo and what kind of play you have in the shaft. Can you see anywhere that the wheel has been rubbing the housing? The shaft should have almost no play. If you can wiggle it around it is shot. I could also be related to the hot side of the turbo like the vgt vanes.

If the turbo is bad replace it with the Garrett Powermax. It's about the same cost as your replacement 06 turbo through Ford and will support more power.

As for the fuel system, check your fuel pressure. Check your filters too.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked my turbo shaft output this morning and I was able to move the shaft from side to side, but not up and down. I did not see any signs of wear on the the outer walls. Did notice one blade was white on the end and any either blade had what looked like rust color, not sure if that means anything. Could my bearings be going bad? If I do need to replace the turbo, I do not want to replace it with a stock unit. What is a good aftermarket turbo (ATS, BD Diesel, Garrett)? The ATS and BD are like $2500 to $3000 and is it worth it as compared to a Garrett for $1200. What are the differnces? I also inspected my fuel filters which i just replaced two weeks ago and i did used Racor filters, not aftermarket. I am going to stop by the dealer this afternoon and see if they can check out the fuel pump. Aslo I noticed that my EGT's will not go over 800 degress at wide open throttle. Thank you for any help.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Diesel View Post
I checked my turbo shaft output this morning and I was able to move the shaft from side to side, but not up and down. I did not see any signs of wear on the the outer walls. Did notice one blade was white on the end and any either blade had what looked like rust color, not sure if that means anything. Could my bearings be going bad? If I do need to replace the turbo, I do not want to replace it with a stock unit. What is a good aftermarket turbo (ATS, BD Diesel, Garrett)? The ATS and BD are like $2500 to $3000 and is it worth it as compared to a Garrett for $1200. What are the differnces? I also inspected my fuel filters which i just replaced two weeks ago and i did used Racor filters, not aftermarket. I am going to stop by the dealer this afternoon and see if they can check out the fuel pump. Aslo I noticed that my EGT's will not go over 800 degress at wide open throttle. Thank you for any help.
You really shouldn't see any significant play in the wheel at all. If you replace the turbo by all means stick with a Garrett VGT turbo. The GT3788VA Powermax is a great replacement that will work with your stock injectors and if you upgrade the injectors has been proven to support close to 600rwhp. And it can be had in that $1200 range and is a direct replacement.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

First, thank you PGreenSVT for your help.....

I took my truck in today to the dealer to have them check it out. My ABS light has been on and turned out to be the right front speed sensor ($291.75 later). They tested the fuel pressure and at idle the pressure was with in Ford specs. Then the tech took the truck for a ride with the computer hooked up and when he would step on the gas, the fuel pressure would go to zero. So, turns out the fuel pump is on it's way out. Dealer wanted $495.00 for a new fuel pump, told the dealer I would take care of it and ordered me a Air Dog 2.

As for the turbo the dealer is telling me that the turbo is fine. But I went to a Garrett dealer when I left the dealer today and they tell me that it is on it way out. That there should not be any play in the shaft at all???

I do have a question on the Air Dog 2 install. Do I remove the secondary fuel filter on top of the engine and do I remove the pressure regulator spring also. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.