Need some help Coolant bubbling in ovefflow> - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some help Coolant bubbling in ovefflow>

So I just purchased an 05 F250 SD 6.0 off of a guy on here who said he started smelling coolant a month ago. Well I went ahead and did an EGR delete and put different coolant and a filter on it, but it seems every time I shut the truck off it seems to push air out into the degas bottle. Their is no white residue around the cap and no white smoke. What could be the issue here? Does it sound like a head gasket? Got me a little worried. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That doesn't sound like a head gasket to me. When you shut the motor off there is no more cylinder pressure to back into the cooling system. First thing to do is get a reading on your Coolant Temp and your Oil Temp while cruising and at normal operation temperature. You could have a clogged oil cooler and the egr cooler is failing. To know we need those temps. An Edge Insight gives you the ability to monitor stuff like that and monitoring these engines is essential.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Okay I am hoping to get the SCT livewire this weekend so I can monitor them. And you say that the EGR cooler could be bad, what do you mean, because I deleted the EGR and thought that was the EGR cooler I deleted when I did that. It sounds like it is overheating when I shut it off for a couple seconds after that. Is that normal for diesels? This is my first Diesel. Oh and one mor thing I did not install the oval shaped plate that deletes the EGR sensor I believe, because I did not want a check engine light. Is this correct?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

It would help if you put some info about your truck in your signature so we have some clue as to what mods you have or dont have. If you deleted the egr cooler then that can't be an issue. Did you do anything with the oil cooler? Somebody in another thread said his Livewire doesn't monitor EOT. You might want to check that before buying it. I recommend the SCT X3 and the Edge Insight for monitoring.

Have a shop check for the presence of hydrocarbons in the degass tank. If they are there your head gaskets are bad.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 AM

hate to bearer of bad news but spent a few hrs yesterday at left coast diesel in concord ca. i have been having a puking issue only when towing a heavy boat up grade with my banks six gun in truck .
from what they were explaining to m e it is probably a head gasket issue .with my situation there thinkin that when my tuner is in truck and since i do have arps that the extra boost is making its way past a possibly warped head or block or a combo of both .
they also said if it was egr cooler i would see white smoke outa the exhaust and would puke all the time . good luck

STROKEDIS
Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEDIS View Post
hate to bearer of bad news but spent a few hrs yesterday at left coast diesel in concord ca. i have been having a puking issue only when towing a heavy boat up grade with my banks six gun in truck .
from what they were explaining to m e it is probably a head gasket issue .with my situation there thinkin that when my tuner is in truck and since i do have arps that the extra boost is making its way past a possibly warped head or block or a combo of both .
they also said if it was egr cooler i would see white smoke outa the exhaust and would puke all the time . good luck

STROKEDIS

Not necessarily. Only if the egr cooler ruptured. It can cause the truck to puke before it gets bad enough to rupture the egr cooler.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEDIS View Post

STROKEDIS
So are you getting the bubbling sound in the degas bottle when you shut it off or while running? And are you getting white residue around the degas bottle cap? I dont have a programmer and never have had one on the truck so I hope its not headgaskets. And is the hydrocarbon test possible to do at home or do I need to take it to a shop?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime_3 View Post
So are you getting the bubbling sound in the degas bottle when you shut it off or while running? And are you getting white residue around the degas bottle cap? I dont have a programmer and never have had one on the truck so I hope its not headgaskets. And is the hydrocarbon test possible to do at home or do I need to take it to a shop?
You need to go to a shop that has a hydrocarbon sniffer. You might want to go read this. It will help you understand what goes on with your truck.

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
You need to go to a shop that has a hydrocarbon sniffer. You might want to go read this. It will help you understand what goes on with your truck.
I read your post all good info. What is this hydrocarbon sniffer? Never heard of that before.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

It is similar to a tailpipe sniffer and detects the presence of hydrocarbons. If it is a blown head gasket allowing combustion pressure into the cooling system there will be hydrocarbons present in the coolant and degass bottle. Stick a sniffer in the top of the coolant tank and the sniffer tells you if they are there. 1 minute test and you're positive if your head gaskets are blown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.