05 excursion not starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 excursion not starting

Hey guys I am having an issue with a buddy's truck here. I am a gm mechanic and have no issues getting into things but this truck has me stumped.

Just a brief history, this was running down the highway and started to lose power, not running rough, just low on power and speed. Then it went away. The guy said he did notice that it sounded like the turbo whistle had gone away during the low power condition. Once it regained power he cruised for approx 10 miles and went poof, literally, truck stalled and wont fire. I was suspect of the oil system because I was not seeing any oil pressure register on the ipc when it was cranking. I was going to start with the basics, and do an oil change.

When I took the oil filter cap off, the filter looked like it had been sucked in, but more importantly, the whole inside of the cap where the filter slides on was melted/gone. I found a bunch of melted plastic on the bottom where the filter slides over also.

I have since gotten the turbo off and was going to start removing the oil cooler, was going to look into replacing the egr cooler as there is no coolant in the degas tank, or it doesnt seem like in the engine so far. The oil reaks of burnt ****. I am thinking that the thing was run without coolant and just got real freekin hot. I am worried about the oil filter cap plastic is what is causing the no oil pressure so thats why I was heading that way.

Any thoughts on what to look for, have you guys ever seen something like this? Just from the reading I have done over the weekend the egr coolers seem like a huge issue, this on is stock oem. Also looks like the low oil pressure pump may be shot. Along with the cooler.

Thanks in advance guys, any info you need please ask away. I want to get this guys truck fixed for him. Its had a good life thus far and always stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

melted oil filter is BAD news. the oil has gotten way too hot, which was probably related to losing coolant either through egr or headgaskets. now the melted filter plus filter cloth is in the HPOP reservoir and all through the system. prob into a few of the roller ligers an some other nasty places. i'd say the motors coming out and all the way apart. pistons will need to be checked for scuffing, rings that get that hot lose their tempering and never seal right again. sorry, thats how i see it. wish i had some good news
Old 10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen View Post
melted oil filter is BAD news. the oil has gotten way too hot, which was probably related to losing coolant either through egr or headgaskets. now the melted filter plus filter cloth is in the HPOP reservoir and all through the system. prob into a few of the roller ligers an some other nasty places. i'd say the motors coming out and all the way apart. pistons will need to be checked for scuffing, rings that get that hot lose their tempering and never seal right again. sorry, thats how i see it. wish i had some good news
I'm thinking the same thing.

BTW EGR coolers fail becouse the oil cooler has failed and starved the EGR cooler of coolant.

Here is some info BDP Media Center
Old 10-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen View Post
Yep, I agree too. I suspect the problem started with a clogged oil cooler and he contimued to run it until he melted the damn thing. If he sucked melted plastic into the oil passages it is bye bye motor. Start looking for a replacement. Having gotten it that hot it is hosed anyway. I'd never trust that engine again.

I'd be looking into something like this. Replace the dots with . and paste into you browser.
http://www dot thehorsepowershop dot...ate-motor.html

This is the second thread I've seen like this in the last month or so. I just can't understand why or how somebody could drive their truck into the ground and not notice.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 10-25-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that link wont work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.