Changing all my fluids/filers - - first time, need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing all my fluids/filers - - first time, need advice

I recentely purchased a 2006 6.0L Manual. It has only 31,000 miles on it, however, I want to change all the fluids to synthetics anyways since it's coming up on 5 years since the build date and I figure it would be a wise thing to do. After a lot of researching on these forums, I think I have decided I am going to change the following with these fluids.

Engine - Rotella T5
Transmission - 75w-90 Amsoil Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube Synthetic
Transfer Case - Synthetic ATF
Front/Rear Diffs - 75w-140 Severe Gear Synthetic
Coolant Rotella ELC

I'll be using stock motomaster fuel filters, air filters and oil filters. How does this all look?

I have decided to use 75w-140 in both front and rear because I have heard this is the new norm and the dealers are doing this. But should I stick with 75w-90 in the front?

Also, the transmission fluid. My manual recommends ATF, but the new 2008+ ZF6 are using the 75w-90 oil specified above. I feel a lot more comfortable using gear oil rather than ATF.

Question... since both the Tranny and T-Case originally were spec'd to use ATF, but now the tranny has switched to 75w-90, can I also switch the t-case to 75w-90? Or is that a no no? I know the t-case is a lot different than the tranny, in the sense that oil isn't as important but wondering if I could do this.

Last question, is there anything I need to know when doing all of this? Any tips for installing the fuel filters, or doing the diffs? Do I need to take the covers off the diffs to drain the oil and fill, or are there plugs? How easy is it to drain and fill the manual tranny and t-case?

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Motorcraft is the oem brand filters and they are made by Racor. I would stick to the manufacturers recommended fluids for the trans and transfer case. They were not designed for gear oil. I would suggest Amsoil engine oil as well. T5 is a blend.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

For the T case it looks like AMSOIL is recommendding that you run Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid.

The fuel filter and oil is a piece of cake. I used an 8 gallon rubber maid container for dumping the oil and fuel from the filters.

I used these for guidance.
6.0L DIT Power Stroke Diesel Engine Oil Change Guide
6.0L DIT Power Stroke Diesel Fuel Filter Change Guide

I agree if you are going with Amsoil put it in the engine also.

Are you planning to add a coolant filter?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Motorcraft is the oem brand filters and they are made by Racor. I would stick to the manufacturers recommended fluids for the trans and transfer case. They were not designed for gear oil. I would suggest Amsoil engine oil as well. T5 is a blend.
Oops. I meant Motorcraft not Motormaster. Not the first time I've made that typo. Yes I plan to use Motorcraft filters. Thanks for the suggestion, I might go with a full synthetic but I have heard really good things about the T5. Not too sure about it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank81 View Post
For the T case it looks like AMSOIL is recommendding that you run Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid.

The fuel filter and oil is a piece of cake. I used an 8 gallon rubber maid container for dumping the oil and fuel from the filters.

I used these for guidance.
6.0L DIT Power Stroke Diesel Engine Oil Change Guide
6.0L DIT Power Stroke Diesel Fuel Filter Change Guide

I agree if you are going with Amsoil put it in the engine also.

Are you planning to add a coolant filter?
hey, thank you very much for those links. That was exactly what I was looking for, it looks really easy to do the fuel filters. Thanks for the rubbermaid tip, I was wondering wtf I was going to put all the oil in. I've got a huge 8 gallon rubbermaid container and that is what I will use. I will think about the full synthetic. I was going to go with the T5 because I need a 10w30 (for cold winters) and because it is cheap, $11 at walmart per gallon right now.

I've been considering a coolant filter. Is that something I should do before putting new coolant in? I sort of wanted to keep this rig stock... but... I keep hearing this coolant filter mentioned and highly recommend. I thought they might have fixed the whole casting sand thing in my 2006 (which is a late model build, 02/06) but I am not sure if that is the case. Is there anyway to know?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:33 PM

I use amsoil in both diffs and transfer case. I really like that I went with amsoil.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
I use amsoil in both diffs and transfer case. I really like that I went with amsoil.
It aint cheap but it's great stuff so I'll keep using it. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so anal about this stuff and could put $11/gal stuff in my truck. The price sounds nice but I just can't bring myself to do it.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
It aint cheap but it's great stuff so I'll keep using it. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so anal about this stuff and could put $11/gal stuff in my truck. The price sounds nice but I just can't bring myself to do it.
I am the same way. When I put the fluid in the truck I even had it tilted so that I could get more fluid in.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

Here is a link for coolant change.

Coolant Change 101 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

except put your choice of coolant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.